Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Land - Researching Building Codes

Purchasing Land - Researching Building Codes

Hello, everyone.
    I was hoping that I'd be able to take the class before I signed up to ask any questions - as I know a lot of the fundamentals are covered in the class. Unfortunately, I will be moving/relocating soon (for work), and I have no idea when that will be (could be 2 weeks, could be 2+ months). I'm also trying to convince someone to go with me. Meanwhile, I will continue reading, looking at different LHBA homes and searching for suitable land online.
    Which brings me to my question...
    When searching for land, how important is it to research the building codes (or other?) for that particular area prior to considering said purchase?
    I was thinking that 5-10 acres would be reasonable (maybe more - as I would like to have my family build on my land someday), and have found a few lots that meet certain, basic criteria - and are less than $1,000/acre (which is the limit that I set for myself).
    Securing the land will probably be my first priority after taking the class.
    Thank you.

Buying property is a big

Buying property is a big commitment, so you should do enough research about it that you won't have any surprises down the road.
    A simple phone call to the local county building/planning office, and in less than 10 mins you should have a good idea of what permits/regs you will need to build.
    In our case, we needed a perk test on the land (for septic), we had the following inspections: footer, foundation, rough-in, and final.

These homes can be modified to meet pretty much any building requirements. Some area's require plans to be engineered/stamped, others don't.
    Welcome to the group!
    Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.Regarding any

Thanks, Jeff.
    Regarding any pre-build testing; this would have to be permitted by the current owner/broker if any such tests were required and had not been conducted, right?
    Also, I was under the impression that the various building inspections (and how to adequately comply with them) will be covered/discussed in the course. Is that right?
    Thanks, again.

Things like a perk test (if

Things like a perk test (if needed) are usually written into your contract when buying the property, that way if it does not perk, you have the option of backing out without losing any $$. Same with if you need to drill a well, might be written in as a clause in the contract.
    Yes, the class does give many tips/tricks to dealing with inspections. But the specific "hoops" you may have to jump through are still going to vary greatly, depending on the area you build. Not only state to state, but just being in a different county in the same state, can have large differences in what you need to follow.
    We are in a county next to Indianapolis, so we had a decent amount of inspections, even though we're in the country so to speak. If we had been 1 or 2 counties farther out, there's a good chance there would have been less inspections. Something to keep in mind as you're looking for your land. Be sure to check if there are any restrictions on the property too that might limit what you can build.

Thanks, again, Jeff. I

Thanks, again, Jeff. I appreciate it.
    I know that much of this stuff will probably be discussed during and/or after taking the class...with the help of other members like yourself. I'm probably jumping the gun here...sorry about that (just excited).
    -Foster

Blog Entries

County hoops...

Foster, After you take the class and are able to peruse the members side of this forum you will have access to vast discussions that have already happened concerning different member's experiences dealing with various Government agencies. Personally I have recently put the roof on our place and have had very positive dealing with our County inspectors. As mentioned, you'll get some tips from class but you'll be asking and answering questions on this forum for years.
    PS. Wherever you live, if you could package up 10 acres of land at $1000 per acre and ship it out here to me in Southern Oregon I'd appreciate it. Welcome aboard.

Thanks.Yes, a big part of my

Thanks.
    Yes, a big part of my motivation for taking the class is becoming a member and sharing the benefits of having a network of experienced and helpful people like yourself.
    I'm currently in Missouri - where some land can be had for cheap. Unfortunately, I'll be moving to Ohio (near Akron) soon, and I have no idea about the place. I have never been there. I haven't seen any listings for cheap land available in Ohio either. I have seen listings for land in Southern Oregon that are cheaper than $1,000/acre (e.g. in Lake County & Klamath County). However, I think the land that is advertised is primarily high desert and remote.
    Thank you, guys, for welcoming me and for the help.
    -Foster.

Blog Entries

Gigantiboviphobia...

Foster, You're correct about some of the land in Klamath and Lake counties being priced right. I'd move to that side of the mountains in a heartbeat but the wife has an unnaturally severe fear of large concrete cows that gather by the side of the road north of Klamath Falls.
    Inside joke... You'll have to get access to the members side.

Blog Entries

Foster

Get whatever info you can from Ron now, I'm gonna get him for those comments about the concrete cow. <smile> Welcome to the fun.

Blog Entries

Inside joke...

It's still an inside joke but now we have a photo of the giant scarey cow. For more info contact Ed Kemper hahahhhahahahhaHAha.