Thread: buying used

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

buying used

My husband and I are going to look at a used butt and pass style log cabin. The home is beautiful and has a great offer of land with it, pretty cheap. However, the home was built in 1977, does not have central air and needs work. If the home is solid... we don't mind doing the work ... but what should we really be looking for? what areas do we want to be sure are good?
    I appreciate your advice...
    Thanks!

unfortunately

This is a 'take the class' moment. Sure, look for water damage, inquire as to roof construction methods, etc. However, these things will be so second nature to you that I would not even mention it to a member.
    The short answer is, 1977 wouldn't scare me. A correctly built BnP home built in 1877 would still be OK, structurally. You'll learn all you will ever need to know about log construction, which could save you many tens of thousands of dollars. Good news is, the property likely has some time to wait before it sells in this environment. Likely enough time for you to take a vacation to Vegas.

Blog Entries

Used B&P...

You neglected to mention that one important detail. Where is it and what kind of butt and pass log home is it? How about a bunch of photos or two? Like Peter said, 1977 is not a bad year if it is the right kind of house and was properly built. Photos, man, photos.

LHBA Member

ahhhhh. the 70s. yeah..i was knee high to a grasshopper, building ( and selling i might add ) soapbox racers to the neighborhood kids. had a bright orange schwinn stingray with a banana seat. oh wait..where were we?? used BNP..im with LHN..pics..or post the link to the listing : )

LHBA Member

As someone who just took the

As someone who just took the class I'd probably defer to someone with experience for this one. I could put one up but would want someone who's actually put a few of them up to inspect a 25 year old home. If the OP puts up some info it might make a fun field trip for someone to see the effects of a quarter century on a BNP. I think I remember Steve or Ellsworth in class mentioning that older BNP homes didn't have the same rebar spacing as the newer homes. Recommended gap was 3 or 4 feet instead of 2 back then. Could be all kinds of differences between 70's construction and now. It might not be LHBA style at all. The OP came to the right place for sure. I wouldn't want a regular home inspector checking it out at all.

LHBA Member

I'd crawl under the house,

I'd crawl under the house, and check for termite tubes if it doesn't have a basement. I'd check the corners on the bottom logs, with an awl. If the logs are at all spongy, walk away. Are the logs treated? I'd check to see if they are, and if they will need it again. Look for signs of water along all walls. As a matter of fact, if you can, go there when it's raining, and see if there is water raining onto the logs.

will send photos soon

I don't have photos yet... but will take many when we tour the house. I found out about it through a friend who is in a log cabin now and knew we were looking for one. She is in a cabin kit home, so she nor her husband are at all familiar with what to look for.
    All I do know is that it is not being lived in now and "needs work". We are touring it Monday evening.
    Also... my husband is very interested in a class...waiting for 2011 dates. Thanks for all the info.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

a few thoughts about buying used...

Some things to look for...
    The roof needs to overhang the logs by a bunch... at least 3 1/2 feet.
    The logs need to be off the ground - at least 1 foot - more would be better.
    The logs need to be whole logs, not cut or shaped in any way.
    I would check out the outside and the logs first. If the logs are OK, then you can work out the rest...IMHO.
    Dave The unaimed arrow never misses.... If can, can. If cannot, cannot.http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

water

You're looking mainly for water. Check the bottom course of logs very carefully, that's where problems will start since the bottom log gets the most weathering from being the furthest from the roof and closest to the ground.
    Beyond the bottom course of logs, you're pretty much looking for the normal "home inspection" issues you'll be concerned about in any home.
    I agree with Peter, take the class ASAP.

2011 classes

Quote Originally Posted by hikersrule
    Also... my husband is very interested in a class...waiting for 2011 dates. Thanks for all the info.
    There's a class in February that looks like it hasn't filled up yet.