Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Been building all Summer

What lies beneath

Got going on the floor. And (as I should expect) it is worse than I thought it was going to be. Surprisingly, it wasn't OSB/flakeboard. They actually used real 5/8" plywood! Salvaging carpet and vinyl is not going to be an option, but fortunately none of it was glued down, and was easy to pull up. However, nasty white mold was found under the vinyl and in some of the carpet padding. But what I found next when I started cutting out affected flooring was very disturbing.

Warning: Parental discretion is advised for the following image:

Yea, that's not spray foam. That's a seriously nasty case of thick, solid mold. Ick! The worse part is, while I will be able to get most of it removed, there will be spots where I simply cant get to. Ugh! Lesson here is, don't ever let mold get a foothold.
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 01-14-2011 at 01:09 PM.

mold

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    Got going on the floor. And (as I should expect) it is worse than I thought it was going to be. Surprisingly, it wasn't OSB/flakeboard. They actually used real 5/8" plywood! Salvaging carpet and vinyl is not going to be an option, but fortunately none of it was glued down, and was easy to pull up. However, nasty white mold was found under the vinyl and in some of the carpet padding. But what I found next when I started cutting out affected flooring was very disturbing.

Warning: Parental discretion is advised for the following image:

[IMG=600x450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/floor.jpg[/IMG]
    Yea, that's not spray foam. That's a seriously nasty case of thick, solid mold. Ick! The worse part is, while I will be able to get most of it removed, there will be spots where I simply cant get to. Ugh! Lesson here is, don't ever let mold get a foothold.
    The small areas of mold you wont be able to remove, Will you be able to get to those areas with a spray pack wand, then douse it with some borate treatment?

Without totally ripping the

Without totally ripping the trailer apart and removing every shred of fiberglass insulation, there is no way to treat every possible spot, especially in areas where there are rather permanent structures. (shower stall, refrigerator cabinet)

I'll just get out what I can get out, spray what I can spray, and make due with whatever is left. As soon as I can move into my home, I'll rip the whole thing down. (maybe utilize the frame for a portable saw mill) Actually, in hindsight, I could have done better by buying (another) reefer trailer, and salvaging the appliances, windows, bath fixtures, etc, and making the reefer trailer into living space, and probably had it done in a shorter period of time/money that the course I ended up taking. But that's just typical hindsight.