Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Been building all Summer

with any luck

You'll get canned sooner than later... maybe with a fat old severence package and then out to the land full time. Anyway, Rod, you know I don't wish you any ill will, but we are all getting very anxious to see your place start taking shape!
    -Peter

Blog Entries

Company sold...

I once worked for an outfit that sold. I drove a cement mixer truck. Prettiest truck in the valley. Lots of chrome and polished aluminum and the paint was shiney gun-metal grey. A couple of gentlemen from Anchorage decided to branch out and get into the concrete business in a warmer climate. Problem is they brought their entire business model with them. Part of that model was that they liked their trucks to be noticeable... Noticeable and PINK. Nudity I can handle... Pink trucks are another thing altogether. Good luck with the new owners Rod.

My thinking too!

Quote Originally Posted by StressMan79
    With any luck You'll get canned sooner than later... maybe with a fat old severence package and then out to the land full time. Anyway, Rod, you know I don't wish you any ill will, but we are all getting very anxious to see your place start taking shape!
    -Peter
    I'm rooting for the same myself Peter. Coming up on 13 years of service, and getting a nice "good-bye present" sure would beat just walking away empty handed as I am pretty much planning on anyhow this coming Spring or Summer.

Pretty much finished up

Just need to put up the shades, install an undercabinet light I'm waiting on, and do something with the toe-kick.

Next, on to repairing some soft spots in the floors.
    Last edited by rreidnauer; 01-14-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Waste of talent...

Don't waste all that good talent on a log home. You need to go into the business of fixing up old trailerhouses. It's an art HAHaha.
    PS. I have one that will be available to fix up just as soon as I can finish up our little log project.

Blog Entries

Poor taste...

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut
    Don't waste all that good talent on a log home. You need to go into the business of fixing up old trailerhouses. It's an art HAHaha.
    PS. I have one that will be available to fix up just as soon as I can finish up our little log project.
    Rod, when I re-read my earlier post it became apparent to me that it appears crude and tasteless. Please be assured that I meant it in the same vein that I mean most of my posts. I truly meant for it to be light-hearted and tongue in cheekish. I personally motorhomized my bus nearly 30 years ago and know how hard it is to get get all that "unsquare and built to be light and flexible" stuff to look the way that you are making yours look. It is a good project and I can't wait to watch your house start coming together and then to watch you get finished with your log home before I do. I know that can happen... My bus is still painted school bus yellow.
    Now that you have had a chance to accept my appology for sounding crude, I can't resist posting a photo of a little project that Ed Kemper is involved in and could use a hand on. Don't worry. The pool is in good shape. He only needs help remodeling unit #2, #5, #8 and maybe the main house.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries

Condo

Small lot, and 4 kids and 2 adult grandkids that won't leave home

No harm done LHN.? I didn't

No harm done LHN. I didn't take it as crude at all. (I feel it reads as a compliment) Unfortunately, I don't think there'd be any money in fixing up RV's considering the man-hours required. That's not even mentioning certain things that still aren't up to snuff (nor will they ever be) that I have to "let go" and live with. (I'll point some of those out to anyone who visits in the future) Even with all the work, I wouldn't sell it to someone knowing these short-comings. It'll be good enough to get me through my build, but that's about it. To have fixed EVERTHING right, I would have had to started from scratch. Getting all mold and rot out is practically impossible.

Now, about that picture. So that explains why I couldn't find a deal on CONEX containers. This guy is using them for tower platforms!!!!
    I got to admit, that is the most intriguing trailer park I've ever seen.

Blog Entries

Ron,

That is an old picture. We've added three more "units" on the second floor and we added a small tennis court next to the pool. We also hired an on sight manager to keep the less desirables away.

Soft spots on floors

That subfloor may be made of particle board. If so, replace it with OSB or I prefer 3/4" plywood with one smooth face so you can put new vinyl on top. If you have a seam in the plywood, you can smooth it over with a small box of Henry's floor patch at Lowe's. If they have any broken bags of patch, mortar or concrete mix, offer to buy them at a much cheaper price. They can't sell at retail and you get a good product for much less $$$.also, see if they have any remnants of vinyl. I reccomend vinyl back vinly as opposed to paper backed vinyl, it lasts much longer and is much easier to cut in when you install it. Pressure sensitive glue works best, and don't walk on it with hiking boots the first night. For your toe-kicks, you can curve the vinyl up if you feel confident enough to do that of get some 1/4 inch plywood and cut it into strips tall enough to cover the toe-kick and paint it black.that always works good as a cheap fix. Toe-kick material in the stores is VERY expensive.