Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Foundation

You can start stacking logs 18" above grade if you want to but I would prefer 3'. Mine is on piers 18" above grade, I wish I would have went higher.

LHN, where did you find a photo of my trailer. You may cause people to covet the good life.
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I like the ICF walkout basement just fine. I can imagine it would be a pain in the bathroom to be living in it while building above it. I know it's been done but are you sure there's not a cheaper and easier way?

Regular+ User

Morphing ......

What originally was the primary appeal to me about LHBA and the way one builds is/was the sheer beauty and simplicity of the build - logs and maybe piers, maybe not.
    It seems its mutated to almost McMansion process and ways of building.
    That said - short and sweet is still out there for us with simpler minds I guess.

Nylhd- I used Logix ICFs. Love my basement- and it's worth every $. I did it bc the frost line being so low that pier blocks would've been HUGE, and it wasn't that much more $ to do the basement. Be aware though that if you have a slope sufficient for a walkout, that only the high side wall will be easily accessible. I thought I'd be able to use a lull to set my logs, but terrain wouldn't let me. I ended up using a crane. I got a great deal on logs so still got my log walls up within budget. My buddy Bill built near me on a basement, not walkout, on a flat site and got his similarly huge logs up with a one month lull rental
    @benb: McMansions?? I think that's a stretch- most builds are 30x30s, and people are building what they can afford. Some know the fact that if you plan to resell, a 3 bdrm 2ba has most resale potential so it's smart to do so.
    Don't want a big 'fancy' log home? Don't build one! Lotsa folks are doing 25x25. I don't think Skip's way has been diminished- but options and new techniques will come up as people try new things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LHBA Member
    Plattsburgh, NY - Will be moving to our build site in March 2013
    What originally was the primary appeal to me about LHBA and the way one builds is/was the sheer beauty and simplicity of the build - logs and maybe piers, maybe not.
    It seems its mutated to almost McMansion process and ways of building.
    That said - short and sweet is still out there for us with simpler minds I guess.
    McMansions are fine for some for others not so. I happen to be one of those, not so guys. But since I have to go 5' just to meet code for a frost while, what's another 3' to have additional living space. Maybe I won't go 30 x 30. Maybe I'll end up around 25 x 25. Right now I live comfortably in 1254 sq ft.

Blane and WNY, your got me ta thinkin' - maybe a better idea is to build on level grade. Come up 5' from the footers to meet the frost wall codes, go another 3 feet for at total of 8' with the basement to give me living space. Pour the 8' walls using ICF's. Back fill the grade to 5' and then I will have 3' above grade before I start setting logs. I could put some windows in the basement for light and use it that way.

I am fortunate enough to have lots of logs, well trees at this point available to me for the log walls. The the money saved there, maybe I will be able to rent a telehandler to set the logs.

Blane, did you set your logs with a telehandler or with a triples, comealongs, pulleys, etc.?

I am getting the impression from reading here that most people either hired, rented or purchased a telehandler and/or crane for setting the logs.

Please keep the feedback coming!! I am really enjoying this discussion!!

We used block and tackle. Much slower than a lull but it got the job done. If you are not in a huge hurry they save money. Here are a few shots.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TIsfr6ppJu...0/IMG_4151.jpg
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y5E9JBiITE...0/DSCN5139.JPG
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_y5E9JBiITE...0/DSCN4380.JPG

LHBA Member
    Plattsburgh, NY - Will be moving to our build site in March 2013
    Blane,
    Pretty neat! I assume they teach this in the class? When your done with that truck can I borrow it...

They will teach you any and every option available. Then if you need help we are here.