Geez, I was just watching an episode of Holmes on Homes where he has to fix a brand new spec built townhome for a young couple who's having nothing but problems with their new home, and the builder won't make things right. The place looks great at first glance, but start peeling back the finish materials, and Wholly S$%@#!!!!! What a shoody mess. I think my most amazed moment was after they started ripping off the roof, (so screwed up they have snow in the attic) they find these patches of 3/8" plywood improperly installed, where if someone would have stepped on them, they would have fallen 12 feet through the attic and through the 2nd floor ceiling. Wow! I worked as an electrician on enough spec homes, and in enough other ones to know I would never buy one, but this show was just over the top crazy. I never seen any close to as bad as this was. I wonder what the rest of those townhome owners are thinking when they see this episode?
If there is ever a reason to build your own home, this has got to be it. If you hire contractors, be darn sure you know you're getting an honest job.