Need help ASAP. Just had a small cabin built by our local Amish (wonderful people), 20x24 with 3/4 loft, full balconies on each end, plus large full deck on bottom front. Gambrel (barn) style roof extends over both balconies on ends. Question??? Roof is forest green metal, tar paper, wafer board, on 2x6 trusses. Interior ceiling in loft is all open (no attic space at all). No special venting was built in (ridge vent, etc), just the standard V cap over the peak of the metal roof. Will have ceiling fan in loft peak and downstairs. Lots of windows and 4 sliding glass doors, so can get good ventilation this way.

In looking to insulate the roof, however, we were told at the building center the trusses should have been 2x12 to allow for thicker, higher R-value insulation (Montana), and we didn't have enough space now. Asked about foam panels to allow air space to be left between insulation and roof deck. They said foam panels are more for garages, etc. Asked about spray in foam fill (VERY expensive here), they said leaves no air space and with metal roof would "cook" in summer (gets in 90's-100), could damage metal or be hard on it, plus hold heat inside loft area.... Was are your experiences/opinions re this??? (There is not room in the loft area with the sliding glass doors already installed to the balconies to bring the interior ceiling down any lower.) Could not really get a straight, direct answer. Don't know if they really knew the answer.

The place is already built, so we have to make due with what is there. It's a beautiful cabin and the quality seems to be very good, so it surprised me the roof was done this way.

Let me explain that I'm doing this all on my own, am a working single mother of 4, and am paying for the home as I go, rather than doing the standard 30-year mortgage plan, and working towards being debt free. At this point, I'm pretty well maxed budget-wise at the moment from the new bulding (just finished last wk). This will be a full-time residence for my family. So please bear with my "newbie" mistakes. I so appreciate all your input!

There is another adjoining 12x16 cabin with full covered/screened in porch used as bedroom. Appreciate the help! Trying to do-it-ourselves, but do not want mold problems, etc.. Thank you for reading all these details! lol I know old cabins, houses, etc, are redone all the time, so there has to be an affordable solution.