Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: log building style question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTB

Rod,
    The detail in you model is amazing. How big is the model? What size dowels did you use?
    Bob
    It was a bit of a runaway train that wasn't suppose to get that detailed, but that's just how I am. There is no need to create such a detailed model.
    The scale is 1:24, and represents an interior dimension of 35'x35', making the model approximately 27" long x 22" wide x 16" high. Most of the dowels are 1/2".

Scribed and Pinned

Dave,
    I really appreciate the information. I completely agree that a pinned home will not settle as much as one the is not pinned. That's why I'm not considering building a unpinned full scribed home. I believe the foam between the logs is the answer I was for "that makes sense", but my question still stands though with a few additional caveats. Is there a technical reason why a full scribed home that was also pinned, with foam between the logs and chinked ( I like the look of chinking) would not have all the same stability characteristics of a pinned and chinked butt and pass home?
    Please don't take my questions as an attack on the butt and pass method of building. I not intending to argue or debate with those who have much more experience in building than I do. I'm just trying to understand so I can proceed with a plan that makes the most sense for my family.
    Bob

Question answered, thread locked

The question in the original post has been answered. It would not be advisable to use rebar in a Scandinavian Chinkless style log home.
    It would be more standard to through bolt the logs, and then use a sping loaded nut.