Thread: Building a Log home in Florida?

Building a Log home in Florida?

Has anyone ever build one in Florida or better yet Tampa? I live in Tampa and just found this site. How do termites effect the home? Does anyone know an price range to build an simple Log home between 2000-3000 sq ft?

Thanks!

We are building in NW florida

Tampaloghome,
    We are building in northwest FL. Should finish the walls this weekend. Termites, and pest control in general, are talked about in the class. They are an issue, but one that can certainly be dealt with.
    Keith

hi, yourself

Delvis, i dont think this is the site you want to be squeezing your advertisements into. things are done differently here.

Advertisements?

Im little confused about your post about squeezing advertisements? WHo is Delvis?

deleted kit builder posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tampaloghome
    Im little confused about your post about squeezing advertisements? WHo is Delvis?
    A kit builder made 5 posts on this thread. They violated our Terms of Service # 11, 19, and 23. We do not allow advertising or solicitations.

Log Home Location

I live in Lutz and have worked on a few log homes in this area..There are a few. I have a cabin in Gatlinburg TN, but not here.
    What area are you wanting to build? I have been wondering the same thing as you.

Florida log homes

Hi there. I live in the Tampa area also but I will not be building here. I own land in upstate NY and will be relocating there within the year. BUT, I do have a sister in Sanford, NE of Orlando, who lives in a kit-built log home. I couldn't tell you who the manufacturer was of that 'log' home but I could tell you what her problems are with it. First of all her house was built on a slab. She has a lot of wet rot as a result. Her D-logs have many rotted ends and many have hollow areas where even more water collects. Her ridge pole is a large square beam that was cut from a single log and both ends have had to be removed because of wet rot. She also has problems with carpenter bees boring into her rafters. So far, I haven't heard of any problems with termites. She has attempted to fix these many problems but it is the nature of the weaker kit-built log homes that keeps her constantly fixing and fixing.
    Some of the log rot issues probably wouldn't have occurred if she had a LHBA butt and pass type log home. LHBA builders use whole log construction which offers better protection from pests and weather extremes. (Sis had water coming right through her wall joints during the last hurricane to hit Orlando.) The LHBA building practices are usually better than local code but here in FL you might have to jump through a few hoops when getting engineer stamps on your home plans because of the hurricane requirements. We had a member who was asked to do some unusual changes to his house plans as a result of possible wind load. They sounded rather extreme and expensive but then I'm not an engineer.
    I suggest you probably should stay away from kit-built homes. I was interested in a log home when I went to a log home show. Many of the companies building log homes had such hokey gimmicks built into their homes that I was skeptical. My daughter and I drove away disappointed. She said to me, "I don't want to live in a "log-look" home." That evening I joined this association and took the class two months later. Regarding cost? That all depends on you. You can put as much into it as you want or scale to simplicity. The class can show you how to do both.
    Frances

Log Home north of Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Tampaloghome
    Has anyone ever build one in Florida or better yet Tampa? I live in Tampa and just found this site. How do termites effect the home? Does anyone know an price range to build an simple Log home between 2000-3000 sq ft?

Thanks!
    I am building about 40 miles north of Tampa. I decided to use milled cypress. Quality pine at a reasonable price down here is hard to find. Like with any other wood, you need to spray and follow LHBA guidelines for keeping the wood above ground. Cypress is more termite and rot resistantbecause it has less cellulous than pine. Take the class and get a ton full of info at a bargain price.