Thread: What size Logs should I harvest?

What size Logs should I harvest?

Hello all! I just bought 40 acres in Iowa and I want to build a 1,850 sqaure foot log house on it in about 5 years. I have about 4 acres of dense mature red eastern cedar trees on the property that range from 6 inches in diameter to 16" diameter. What size of tree sould I harvest in order to build the house? I've read articles recomending 8"-10" and then other articles stating 12-14" I'd like to harvest trees starting this fall and let them season for 5 years but I want to make sure that I cut down the right size tree. Thank you!

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

Talk tops... for logs...

Just a note, I posted this about a week ago in the member only area. Evidently there is a bug and you could not see what I posted. So I have thought about this whole thing and I have a few suggestions. Unless the trees are ready to build now, I would plan on building with something else. It seems that there are other uses for these trees and I would sell them and buy popular or pine.
    I hope your talking tops. I know nothing about eastern cedar, but western cedar has a big butt that is generally eschewed. So we need more information to talk about your logs. But generally we build with green logs and bigger the better. We have one student built home that has 22 inch logs. The easiest way to tell is to look at the doors. If a door has only four or five logs being cut out - them is big logs. A little inane language to make a point.
    Some interesting facts... is this really your tree? <a href="http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/eastern_red_cedar.htm" title="http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/eastern_red_cedar.htm">http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/eastern_red_cedar.htm</a>
    The Eastern Red Cedar is a slow growing tree and lives to be very old. It gets its name, grave yard tree, because of an old superstition that says, when a red cedar you planted grows tall enough to shade your grave, it will be time for you to die. The wood of the Eastern Red Cedar is very durable and often used as fence posts. It contains an oil that repels moths. The oil is also used in medicines and perfume. The bark is reddish brown and peels off in stringy strips. It can be used to make a reddish dye.
    Male and female flowers of the Eastern Red Cedar grow on separate trees. The fruit of the Eastern Red Cedar are a waxy, bluish berry about 1/4 of an inch in diameter, and are covered with a white powder.
    Good luck
    -