Thread: Black Spruce

Black Spruce

Is there any reason I shouldn't use Black Spruce for my logs?
    And how long would you suggest curing them?

Just answered your other

Just answered your other thread before seeing this one. Black Spruce. You should be able to use it, but some things will need to be taken into consideration. Taper, length, and butt/tip diameters. You can build with higher tapers, but you really should do so on a square foundation. (other reasons why square foundations are the best way to go are covered in the class) The reason is, you need to match up small ends and big ends in the corners. If you have fairly consistent tapered logs, you'll end up with mismatched sizes. This is not to say it can't be done, but it's going to be a lot more difficult maintaining equal courses. I know you said you already have your foundation, so you're pretty committed no matter what. Length is pretty obvious. You need logs long enough to span you wall plus the pass length. Typically, you shoot for 5 feet longer than your walls so you got some wiggle room. Diameter is pretty important. Too small, and you start to run into structural and insulating problems. Typically, we like no less than 10" on the small end, 8" at the absolute least.

Good news! The LHBA way recommends NOT seasoning/curing logs. It's an unnecessary step which is also detailed in the class.