Thread: Interested in class but concerned I cannot get logs where I live

Interested in class but concerned I cannot get logs where I live

I am definitely interested in attending a class - actually sending a financially strapped relative to the class and then helping her build a cabin for herself. But I am concerned that the cost to get the right logs to the midwest will be too high. How do I know that she will learn how to get affordable materials in the class - and thus allow me to afford to help her out? She is VERY handy and often helps me with home projects to make ends meet and is up for the challenge. She does not want me to spend the money to send her and then find that the cost for her simple cabin ends up being more than I can afford.

Thanks for ANY feedback you can give.

As the saying goes, even

As the saying goes, even free logs aren't free. Shipping is a big concern for those a long way from the forests. However, with the proper persistence and creativity, one can usually find a way. If you have a rail line nearby, that's an excellent start. A single traincar full of logs should be enough to get a home built. Though, questions remain. Does the train make a stop near your build site? Can you line up a truck and equipment to move the logs from the train to your build site? Best part is, all things are negotiable, especially during times like right now, where everyone is looking for work. Contractors jack their prices up to try and offset the losses of low work, but they are hungry, and will come down on price with persistence and cash offers. It's a bluffing game and you need to be the better bluffer. (even if that means walking away from the negotiations)

Thank you! If there's one

Thank you! If there's one thing my cousin is good at, it's getting a good deal so I think we'll be able to make this work as long as we are patient.

There are a decent amount of

There are a decent amount of members around the midwest that have found logs.
    The cost of the class will be offset by what you learn, even if you end up not building a log structure (basic $$ saving techniques that they teach).

Heck mrawson, I just noticed

Heck mrawson, I just noticed in your other post that you're in the St. Louis area, planning on building deeper into Illinois. (not a state I'd want to live in for government reasons, but everyone's different) Anyhow, I just did some checking on Nationalatlas.gov and it shows supposed stands of pine just South of St. Louis (between Hillsboro and Potosi) Downside is, I don't know what kind of pine, nor how big it is.

That's good to know!

That's good to know! Thanks!

Logging and hauling go hand

Logging and hauling go hand in hand. I bet if you started making calls to loggers they would deliver to you. Just figure out the closest place they are logging good logs and ask them how much the logs are and then how much to deliver. I know around here logging business in really down, they need the work and would take about any job that pays.

logging and hauling go hand in hand

and if the logger won't/can't haul he will very likely know of someone who can. that's how it worked out for us:)