Thread: Help! Framing joinery for DIY log garage?

Help! Framing joinery for DIY log garage?

Hello. My first post.

I am planning on building a log garage, using fir and spruce harvested from my own property.
    I'll frame it out of round logs, post and beam fashion. I haven't finalized how I'll finish the walls: slabs, boards, vertical half logs, etc.

My basics: 26' wide x 32' long. Two 10' tall bays on the ground level, full loft for storage. 4/12 metal roof. Already have sono tubes: 3 rows of 5 tubes at 8' spacing. Rows are 13' apart.

My dilema: I don't know how to join my logs for my framing.
    I'll flatten my log beams on 2 sides with a chain saw, so my post-beam joint will be flat-flat.
    But if my posts are from floor to roof (say 14' tall on the outside walls), and I want to have a loft floor (say at 11'), how do I join the log floor joists to my log post?
    And when I attach my log rafters to my log beams, do I notch them so I again have a horizontal flat-flat connection?

Pictures would help! :-)
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

maplewood

First let me say, welcome.

You really need to read through the non-member sections and then take the class. You have far more questions than you know. All is covered in the class.

Welcome maplewood

What Ed said.

But I have some questions for you:

1. How many houses have you built before?

2. Have you built a log home before?

3. What made you want to build out of logs?

Unless I'm mistaken, it

Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like you are planning a timberframe-log hybrid construction method. If so, then typical mortise and tenon practices would probably be best for most of your joinery.

Hello Fossten, Thanks for

Hello Fossten,

Thanks for your reply. I've built two log kit homes. Very simple - like Lincoln logs.

I want to build with log framing this time because it is attractive, inexpensive and a challenge. I'm not looking to take a course, build a showcase home or keep out all the drafts. I just want a solid, functional garage / barn, for my tractor, trailer and for storage.

I am looking for the 4 joints I mentioned: post to beam, rafter to beam, floor joist to post, and bracing.

If you, or anyone else, could help with these 4 joinery questions, I'd be very thankful! :-)

PS - hope the land offer goes your way. Location, location, location! My 6 acres on a stream means home, camp and retirement all in one!