Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Pine Log Prices

Timberline

I gave $200 a log for 40' white pine, min. 12" tops with 20"bases, that was delivered and unloaded, I have a horse logger now that is gettingg me the same thing for $175, not delivered

Blog Entries

The way I've trailered logs...

This just in from the guy who thinks you have to make a new tool for each new phase of the job... Several time over the years I have hauled 40' logs one at a time this way. To hook the front of the log to your pickup you can weld a trailer hitch to a 3'-4' long piece of steel channel that has hooks or eyes welded to it to hold the ends of a chain or comealong that wraps the hitch steel to the top or bottom of the log. If no equipment is handy, use a 10' tripod with a comealong to lift the log as you slide the traler underneath it and then lift the front of the log to hitch it to the pickup. You'll want to bind the log securely to the trailer and you'll know right away if the trailer is not square with the log as it'll all track funny.The log must be "nose heavy" on the trailer or it'll be all over the road at 40 mph.

This sort of thing is best left to competent tinkerers with a self-sufficient attitude and it can make the dollars spent on a log truck seem like a bargain. If you have a relatively short haul through the countyside it might save a buck at the expense of time. Take it easy and slow and get used how it trails without showing off or getting cocky. Stay away from traffic and town. If you are not an old hand at this sort of thing you'll either learn quickly or else. I have never had an issue with the police but I'm sure that could be a concern. You're on your own with this one as much as you'd be on your own hoisting a ridgepole so be careful, be sure of yourself, and be aware.

PS... Try to use light truck tires with more tread when you do this.

LHBA Member

loghousenut

sell me one!...we just finished marking trees yesterday n are working out how were gonna move em around the property once the loggers pull em out of the woods. looks like that would work perfect

Blog Entries

Logging arch...

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman502
    sell me one!...we just finished marking trees yesterday n are working out how were gonna move em around the property once the loggers pull em out of the woods. looks like that would work perfect
    You'd probably be better served by a logging arch. Somewhere in the thread below is the arch I made and used before remaking it as a pole trailer. Logging arch is much easier and faster to use if you are simply moving them around the property.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/skidding-logs

And if you really want to move them around the property, there are more sophisticated "tools" to aquire. The logs below are both 38' long.

LHBA Member

Prefab??

Loghousenet, in that last photo it appears you're planning to stack two-at-time.....coming up with some Prefabrication methods are you?....Just kidding! Hey, in the shot with Hyster, isn't that the UGLY log you cut for the door way? That log sure was photographed a log! But you did get great use out of it.

Distance

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    How far do you got to move them? Do you have to go on any main roads?

About 30 miles, normaly it would be mostly highways, but I could go back roads and only be on the highway for a few miles.

Yea, that's further than I'd

Yea, that's further than I'd want to go while "trying to get away with something." But then, who knows. Maybe law enforcement is more understanding out in your parts.

How's the saying go? Sometimes it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission.

yep...

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer

How's the saying go? Sometimes it's easier to apologize than to ask for permission.
    exactly :)

LHBA Member

Rod

thats funny..i was just gonna put that in a post...but i know it as..

id rather beg forgiveness than ask permission...lol

Blog Entries

Prefab, ugly logs...

Quote Originally Posted by JayK
    Loghousenut, Hey, in the shot with Hyster, isn't that the UGLY log you cut for the door way? That log sure was photographed a log! But you did get great use out of it.
    Jay, The log in the photo with the Hyster is C-8, a fairly straight log that went into the front wall of the house in the 4th course. It was a cinch to set and only required cutting out that one little crooked spot where the entry door will eventually go.

Now log C-4 was a genuine corkscrew and it was our first sill log to hit the stemwall. It was a real booger but we set it in the wall that will have two french doors so we had a bit of fudging room. This house has required pre-cutting door and window holes to get rid of crooks and twists in 2/3rds of the wall logs.

I heartily recommend building with ugly logs on your 2nd or 3rd building. It will either really turn on the left side of your brain and make you a better person for the experience, or it will break you and leave you crying face down in the dust beside an empty bottle. Pity my poor Son. This is the first log building that his Mother is holding him responsible for.