Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White Pine Log Prices

White Pine Log Prices

I saw a local ad for 40' eastern white pine logs (anywhere from 12" to 18" in diameter) that I would have to cut down myself. The guy wants me to make an offer, what are they worth per log?

Thanks, Christopher

$/log

Logs are usually priced at $/MBF (thousand board feet). out west we use scribner scales to determine the volume of wood in a tree. Find out how much a local mill pays per thousand, and subtract off how much you will need to pay to get them transported. Subtract off how much you'll pay a logger to clear the trees, since logging is dangerous work. Even if you have the safety equipment/saws and feel comfortable doing it yourself, pay yourself this amount.

That would be a place to start.

White Pine Logs

Christopher,

I have seen these same types of logs go from $70 to over $300 in my many many months of research (lots of comments on this fourm)...

I am currently days away from hand picking my live trees to be cut down from a logger for around $200

I think I can get lower, and the logger comment to me was that he can't get $100 for them from the mill

Also the logger said he has to give the land owner half the $ he gets for the log

So start at $50 per log and see what they say!

Also, ask how many they have - I am in Chicago, but building in the UP of Michigan - so I would really like to know.

Yoopers Pat

LHBA Member

$

If you have to cut and buck them, I would offer him 20 a tree.

Is the entire tree 40 feet or is that the usable length?

Patrick

Ragdump People in Northern

Ragdump

People in Northern California that had fire killed trees were getting little or nothing for them ,they were lucky if loggers would come in and cut them

I'm with Patrick. If you're

I'm with Patrick. If you're doing the work, I'd offer $25 a stick. Doesn't sound like much until you add up how many you're taking, so don't offer a "per tree" price, talk total, like $2500 for 100 trees.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    It is a local farmer that planted a bunch of trees 45 years ago as a wind break for is house, so I think he only wants to get rid of 10 to 17 of them but I'll let you know if I come across anymore for sale. I?m not sure how much is usable ? I haven?t seen a photo or anything. If I decide to get them I?ll try offering him 25-$50, my only problem is hauling them, do you think I could haul a 40' log on a 18' car trailer? And if so, how many per load?

How far do you got to move

How far do you got to move them? Do you have to go on any main roads?

I have thought about this situation myself, where, if I can find logs close to my property, I may move them myself one to three at a time. I could throw together a pole trailer like the power companies use pretty quick, using the rear portion of an old pickup. I'd just have to find some material to make a 30 foot tongue.

One wet 40' log is going to be pretty heavy, so moving one at a time is probably best with whatever you'll be towing with.

logs on a car trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Timberline
    Thanks everyone for your replies.
    It is a local farmer that planted a bunch of trees 45 years ago as a wind break for is house, so I think he only wants to get rid of 10 to 17 of them but I'll let you know if I come across anymore for sale. I?m not sure how much is usable ? I haven?t seen a photo or anything. If I decide to get them I?ll try offering him 25-$50, my only problem is hauling them, do you think I could haul a 40' log on a 18' car trailer? And if so, how many per load?
    Ragdump
    This is what a 40 ft.log looks like on a 26 ft. car trailer

Ragdump The other problem

Ragdump

The other problem is lifting the logs , green logs that size probably weigh somewhere around 2000 lbs and the big one one my trailer was closer to 3000 lbs