Thread: Insurance?

LHBA Member

Insurance?

So I have been calling around to get insurance on a "cabin" that rests on some land I recently acquired. It is NOT a log cabin, it is bare bones, stick frame, (we intend to fix up) not as a main residence, and everyone I've talked with has referred me to another insurance company (you'd think they'd just want to take my money?). The last person I spoke with said they could get me a policy but it will be very high and I should try to go thru my current home owners provider if I have one... So, that was my next call and the friendliest person I've dealt with so far. Still waiting for a call back. But so far..... We've deemed my "cabin" is a "cottage" (less dollars we think), it is under renovation/construction and is not my main residence. Waiting for the quote. While on the horn and figuring out what I had, the topic, "Is it a log home?", came up... So of course I said, "Well what if it is?".... They won't insure. It can be, but it won't be cheap. When my stuff is paid for I will probably roll the dice and take my chances but right now I need to comply with the agreement I've made. Looking for others experiences.

LHBA Member
    Well, really more curious as to what LHBA folks who have built are paying or if they even fall into the trap.

There is a recent thread on the member's side that mirrors this one.
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box