Thread: FREE LAND!!! Modern Day Homestead Act

FREE LAND!!! Modern Day Homestead Act

Did anyone else catch the story in the July 11th edition of Time that covered how many mid-West towns are giving away property just to bolster their dwindling communities? It's certainly not prime land, but it is typically free and usually have utilities available.

Just something I came across that I though maybe someone may be interested in.

Free Land

How do you get ahold of the information where to get some of that there free land?

One lead from the magazine listed www.kansasfreeland.com as a source. I can't recall any others. I was reading it at the dentist getting a root canal, :shock: so it wasn't my magazine.

BTW, it seems they are interested in families, especially WITH children, in hopes to get their local schools the gov't funding needed. Seems really viable, especially if you have a web-based business of some sort, for income. (as most these towns don't have work)

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/22/real_estate/buying_selling/thursday_freeland/

We have towns here in NE Iowa that do the same. However, they aren't acreages out in the rural area. They are lots in town. Yes, septic and water is hooked up for you. You agree to stay a certain number of years - 2-5 depending on the town.

I read the article in TIME. A 1/4 acre lot in a town with little prospects for work is of little value anyway. That was the gist of the places employing these methods. Often the drive to the grocery store will be 45 min or more. There goes the savings!