Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rain water recovery system for first floor

LHBA Member

PSI pump

Not sure if about the pressure pump with a built in bladder. I recently purchased and plumbed a jet pressure pump 20 psi ON to 50 psi OFF, that pumps into a pressure tank with a bladder to sustain pressure. This bladder tank holds 50 gallons of water. The storage is from a 3,000 gallon concrete holding/storage reservoir that the Well pumps into. A nice setup to prevent too much on and off cycling of the Well pump.
    If a sand or gravel pack filter is plumbed into a roof catchment system it should be plumbed for backwash cycles or it will eventually plug off or need to be repacked it would be advisable to occasionally treat with NSF Chlorox bleach target dosage 6/7 drops per gallon to achieve 1 part per million safe levels for human consumption but wil slow slime growth and disinfect the filter. It should also be mentioned to route the roof water into a standpipe with a small hole drilled into the bottom of the pipe to waste the first flush indroduced as the first rain fall water is collected this will waste the dust/dirt/bird droppings etc...then as the pipe fills to a larger diameter hole that water is routed to the storage barrels.
    Keep in mind all the water on this Earth has passed through a living creature at some point in time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks, all. That's good stuff. I've got two totes set up on the north side of my barn (if I can remember how to post a photo I'll do it) for use to water the sheep, rabbits and chickens. And the friggin duck. I don't recommend ducks, but I digress...

I just posted another thread asking for help with making my tote collection system a continuously flowing system during the winter months, incorporating an old hot water heater as storage for a solar collector, fed by one if the totes, gravity (hot water heater is 13' up in the top of the barn) and hot water circulated naturally (or through the use of a low pressure pump w/pressure regulator if it doesn't move on its own fast enough after I spin it up with an inline pump to get the air out and everything flowing once all is connected).
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    William Wallace

Everything in life is luck.
    Donald Trump

If your goal is wealth, you will die a poor man.

Blog Entries
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419723954.348416.jpg

Here are the totes connected.
    Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    William Wallace

Everything in life is luck.
    Donald Trump

If your goal is wealth, you will die a poor man.

We have a guy here in SC that gets the square 235 gal. totes that are food grade. He buys them from a local bakery, they are used to store honey, just a thought. The 235gal. are about the same price as 2-55gal., and they have a metal "cage" and are liftable with a forklift if need be. That would allow for placing at a higher level for more psi.

LHBA Member
    Those food grade totes are great. Got four on this site, plus 8 - 55 gallon food grade HDPE barrels. Check water treatment facilities sometimes they can not get rid of these and will give them away, that's how I got mine.