Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Insulation

Roof Insulation

Being in a northern zone, insulating the ceiling/roof is very important (and mandated by the building code).

One of the niceties of log homes are the cathedral ceilings with exposed beams (no attics).

I haven't seen a lot discussed anywhere about roof insulation. Most of the literature speaks of wall insulation factors. Which is all well and good, but a non-insulated roof/ceiling is a huge heat drain or summer heat oven.

Besides using "stress panels" (very expensive) or SIP panels (same expensive and heavy), are there any other insulation methods that would be attractive and yet preserve some of the asthetic value of the ceiling.

Roof Insulation

check out atlas roofing web page seems like nice stuff

Roof Insulation

Yes ....it looks like a good site to start the reading.

I looked at several roofing/insulation sites whithout learning much. This site seems to have a few ideas and products.

Roof Insulation

Roof insulation is fully covered in the class and in discussions in the member's section of this forum. It's a very easy method and still maintains the beautiful exposed beams and tongue + groove should you decide to use it.

You have to use what we call a nailable base. Its mechanically fastened to the roof sheathing/decking. It is a rigid insulation board with sheathing adhered to it at the factory. Obviously the thicker the insulation the better the R Value.

Take the Class. Skip was a smart and practical man. No fast sales or quick gimmicks here. Thanks Skip !

Quote Originally Posted by Log Al View Post
    Take the Class. Skip was a smart and practical man. No fast sales or quick gimmicks here. Thanks Skip !
    So in the stickier code areas in northern states one has no problems doing code easily then following just what is taught in class?

That's true but You always have small exceptions to any build that an inspector or dept.wants their way. LHN feeds em muffins and they become agreeable.

I live in southern pa, I just got my plans approved for my roof, lhba exposed beams to be started in the spring, no problem with the roof if anything it is over engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Jr View Post
    So in the stickier code areas in northern states one has no problems doing code easily then following just what is taught in class?
    No problems here. The as built roof is easily spec'd to ANY climate you'd care to live in.
    As a whole, the LHBA system (and it is a system) of building, is simplicity at it's core, longevity at it's heart and strength throughout.

Build to your need, and....desire, and.....ability. And be secure in your decision.

http://picasaweb.google.com/parent.j...gHomeBuilding#