Thread: Yellow Poplar logs...any testimonials?

Yellow Poplar logs...any testimonials?

Helloo, new here, but not new to log home building. In '83 I built one in TX using SYP. I am currently laying block for the basement of my new house in TN. I have 100ac, and a Woodmizer sawmill. I will be cutting, skidding & milling my own logs. I had initially decided on ERC, but looking at all the nice big Poplars I have I am wondering if I should use them.
    I did a search here and found that some members had used Poplar. I would like to know if they are happy with that decison. ERC is a better choice(bug & rot-wise), but the trees are small & more work to limb them. I have a shed I sided with Poplar 4 years ago, no stain or treatment. The stuff has weathered to a nice silver grey, no degradation at all.
    So, if you used Poplar please chime in & admit success or failure.

RD

Blog Entries

SYP?

What does SYP stand for?

LHBA Member

SYP

Southern Yellow Pine.

LHBA Member

yellow poplar is fine so

yellow poplar is fine so long as you don't let rot start, and you can deal with large checks, and you have LARGE roof overhangs. I built mine with a 10' wide wrap-around porch, to assure that the logs don't get wet enough to damage them.

Basil, I read several of

Basil, I read several of your responses/threads. Your house is very cool looking.
    Would you do it again....with Poplar that is?

RD

LHBA Member

Where i live (SC KY) it's

Where i live (SC KY) it's the only wood i can find cheap enough to build with on my budget. I'd do things differently if i had to start over, but i'd do it again. Because of my extremely large overhangs, my logs really never get wet at all.

My porches are 10' wide, and the roof overhangs the porch end by an additional foot. So i have 11' overhangs all the way around the house, at a minimum. I've also got a couple of outdoor rooms that extend the overhangs, in one instance to over 25'.

Yellow poplar logs will turn to mush in about 2 years if exposed to the elements, and allowed to touch the ground. It goes bad after about 4 years when exposed to the elements and is off the ground. Keep that in mind if you intend to build with it. you must have it protected.

Basil Where are pictures of

Basil
    Where are pictures of your home located for veiwing?

built with syp

I PLAN ON USING SYP TREES ON A FEW ACRES I BOUGHT IN SE TEXAS. AS OF NOW I PLAN ON STARTING JAN OF NEXT YEAR, I GUESS MY MAIN QUESTION IS HOW DID YOUR CABIN HOLD UP IN TEXAS. YOU MENTION BUILDING IN '83. DID IT DO WELL. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND USING SYP. WHY OR WHY NOT. THE AVERAGE SIZE OF THE TREES I PLAN TO USE ARE ABOUT 16-18" WITH THE BARK PEELED.