Thread: building my own home?

building my own home?

Hey!!
    Just joined the site, I love it!
    I have a question, I own 5 acres of land in Hayden, AL. mostly pasture type, with some sweetgum trees and some pine as well, i have no building experience, but have always wanted to build my own log home, nothing at all fancy, maybe 1200 s.f. or so basic structure, that is, just a rectangle one story house, can i do this by myself? what wood would be best? what about sweetgum? young pine trees? how do you pick good trees? how tall should they be?
    Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Kelvin

Blog Entries

Kevin

The first answer is yes, you can do it yourself. The rest of your answers would be what you learn in the class and in the Member Only section. Welcome to the step family. Take the class and you become a full blood brother. Smile.

building your own log home

yes welcome:) you can definitely do this yourself! take the class and read all you can in this forum. there's a lot of good info here.

Sounds like you have very

Sounds like you have very realistic ambitions. Can you do it yourself? Well, that depends a lot on yourself, but if you know which end of a hammer to use, I think you'll be able to handle it. Much of it is simply common sense. Like, "how tall should my trees be?" Answer being, "At least as tall as your wall is long." But the better answer is, "The bigger, the better." No doubt, there will be times where problem solving skills will be put to the test. Just ask ClaireNJ ;-)

Of course, I'll echo the all too good advice given so far, take the class. It really is worth it.

Greetings Kelvin

Hey Kelvin, This is actually the first time I've posted anything on the site, but I've been a long time dreamer. I live in Hayden, AL and I'm am actually scheduled to take the class this weekend and will be building in this area. After reading all the articles and postings on the site, I am definitely convinced that I'd be a fool not to take a shot at this. Anyway, I would like to get up with ya sometime and talk logs if you wanna. Talk at you later, Jon.