Thread: Buying a log home

Buying a log home

We are in the process of buying the log home located on 93rd rd in Gig harbor, featured on this site.What can anyone tell us about it? The home was built in the 90`s .We would like to talk with anyone who help build it.We are re-locating from the las vegas area and know little about log homes.We fell in love with the homes charm and sturdy construction. We would like to know how the wiring ,water, plumbing and propane is run.We are very familiar with commom construction, but are not sure how these systems enter the log walls.We are looking to live in this homes for a long long time.

THANKS,

Geoff and Debbie Nestor

geoff

I don't know which home you are talking about, but I have helped on several homes in the area, and one thing is constant, they are all well built.

good luck on determining this. It is likely clear that if the wiring, tubing, etc is run through a wall, it is behind the chinking. This is not the easiest way to add systems, so we generally try to avoid it, so it should be easy to see what circuit goes to what...

good luck in your new home. I am sure it will last longer than you do.

-Peter

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

wiring and other utilities

Quote Originally Posted by geoff nestor
    We are in the process of buying the log home located on 93rd rd in Gig harbor, featured on this site... We would like to know how the wiring ,water, plumbing and propane is run. We are very familiar with common construction, but are not sure how these systems enter the log walls. We are looking to live in this homes for a long long time.
    Geoff and Debbie Nestor
    I have not been to the Gig Harbor log home. But it is built on a poured cement stem wall. I will run all my utilities through the basement walls. I presume they did the same thing because its so easy to lay a pipe in the form (leaving a path), then pour cement. I actually have 4 pipes in my basement wall. Because a butt and pass home's wall do not shrink or move around much, the wiring ,water, plumbing and propane is run as in a normal home. I would do the same thing even it it were any other kind of home. I actually have a picture of this on my photo bucket site... look at my work bench photo and the white pipe...
    Best of luck