Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the "GREEN NETWORK" (and dogs)

the "GREEN NETWORK" (and dogs)

I have been exploring my new cable channels with my HD package, I have been watching some shows on "Green Network." Man, watching this channel, you'd think we are all able to run all of our needs on wind/solar/veggie oil. And save money!

What I cannot understand is the mantra that "we just need to be more efficient with our usage." The other day I was looking a show where they were making electricity with a micro-hydro system... they used a terribly inefficient turbine and they exposed the journal bearings to tons of water. I don't expect this to work for many years.

What I object to is that they keep showing how green technology works in rural situations--absolutely, when you only require 1 kW of energy, and there is no other people within a two day's hike, no problem.

But when you have tens of thousands of people within an acre, this technology is not possible (even with a well designed turbine).

Anyway, this shows what can be done, but it is not a cheap as they make it out to be. Not as easily, and it is NOT a solution for the masses.

Anyway, that is one reason why I am building a self sufficient ranch in a sparsely populated area. If (when) oil/natural gas/coal runs out, and there is not enough nuclear/solar AND there are 8 or 10 billion people each wanting their share--prices for everything will skyrocket. On my 20 acres, I will be able to make a small greenhouse, I'll have enough wood for heat and enough solar for power (also with a genset or 2--running on veggie oil/woodgas and a tesla turbine that runs off wood). Anyway, I meant this to put a damper on all of the greenheads that take these type of shows as gospel. Turns out that I am passing a warning to get out of the cities, have an alternate place to go. I am sad to say, but famine is coming sooner than later. I suspect 9/10 of the planet will perish when the grid starts to fail and the supermarkets emty out.

-Solemnly, Peter

self sufficient

I worry about that too, Peter....about what will happen when the things we need to survive become too much money or just not available. we're working off the same model as you, solar for electric, wood for heat (do plan on some propane stuff though....don't have that part well thought out yet...) green house, gardens, chickens...fishing:)

we need to be able to sustain ourselves. relying on there always being cheep electric an cheep gas isn't the answer.

Blog Entries

Off the grid...

We lived for years out in the middle of nowhere and off the grid. Started out as a bachelor/hermit with candles and an occasional fiireup of the gas lantern. When the wife came along and domesticated me we had to go modern. I remember my first generator like it was yesterday and it changed everything to have electricity again. Finally ended up with a 5000W powerplant for charging batteries while running the washing machine or power tools and a 900w Honda that would run 4 hours on 1/2 gallon. Oh, those long winter evenings with the Honda running until it ran out of gas were wonderful! Super quiet lights and VCR and microwave all for a half dollar per night.

Then the wife started doing the books for a local solar guy and it all went to heck. Suddenly we HAD to have solar panels and an inverter and WOWWW it was great. We only had to run a generator in the winter once in awhile and mostly did it on laundry day. Man, a generator is really noisy once you have solar power.

Then suddenly we realized that we had quite a bit of water running down the hill to that old waterpower shack. The 100 year old Pelton wheel was long past resurection but the water line was still there. We bought a small micro-Pelton and set it up and suddenly had more power than we could use. We had to wire in "dump" loads to burn off power when the batteries were full. Five of the solar panels went on the motorhome and the rest were traded away.

Seventeen years ago we moved back close to town and have power from the grid. We live in a north-facing canyon that has no solar potential and no waterpower or wind either. I don't miss the generators but I do miss the independance I had back in the old days. Several time I remember heading to work before daylight during a storm when I would cross over the hill five miles from home only to enter what felt like the twilight zone. I had just left my Wife and Baby at home in a snug, warm cocoon complete with lights and all the comforts of home and here I was looking at a valley full of homes and a small town that was in complete blackout.

I don't know much about alternative power in the city but it can be a blessing for folks who live in the sticks.

the coming colapse

I think you may be right about the sooner than later part peter. I have been planning much of my strategy with this colapse scenario in mind. My wife thinks I am peranoid. I even went so far as ordering emergency seed banks, and stocking up on other essentials. I would like a place out in the middle of nowear, but for now I still need to consider having gainfull employment. Even on a completely self suficient homestead you need to pay property taxes. If you have any tips for convincing the wife to move out in the middle of nowear, I am all ears. Anyway, as for the coming colapse, there is a lot of handwriting on the wall already. Ever listen to or read any of Glenn Beck. I just finished his book arguing with idiots. A must read!

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

yeah but

Quote Originally Posted by brianroy
    Ever listen to or read any of Glenn Beck. I just finished his book arguing with idiots. A must read!
    Can we please try not to do this.

Glen Beck has nothing to do with log homes.

Blog Entries

Close your eyes, Yuhjn.... Don't look!!!

Relax... lean back on the sofa... close your eyes... and repeat these words... It's only a movie, It's only a movie...

Now pass the popcorn. If I can stay out of it, anyone can. (All in fun)

no fighting please

Look guys, I did not mean to start anything here. Yuhjn, I am sorry if what I said distracted this forum. Your point is duely noted for any of my future comments. Loghousenut...sweet pic. Anyway guys, lets all play nice ok.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

our future

I am conserative but the next generation will face sustainability issues - so I think it is prudent to look at power, heat, food production issues with a ten to twenty year plan. I am planting edible landscape stuff. I am looking at green house stuff becasue in Washington we need more heat units for certain kinds of vegatables.
    Just an observation but just mentioning some ones name and a book should not cause a problem... where is our freedom of thought?

Edible yards

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock
    I am planting edible landscape stuff.

***NOTE*** - I have no political or social agenda. These are just comments/observations.

I've been fascinated in the last year or so with the articles in Mother Earth News and other periodicals documenting where folks in suburbs are converting their sod squares to productive, food-bearing plots around their cookie-cutter homes. I think this is a great idea for non-rural efforts at sustainability and lower burdens on our commercial food growers and distributors.

This year, I took my first step at getting back to my roots (rural childhood with gardens and livestock) and grew three good tomato plants which yielded some tasty organic vegetables (or fruits, if you are among the quibblers on that point). Next year, I plan to do that again and expand to also have some peppers and a couple of other test plants. I'll be renting while I build next year (and the year after, most likely), so I can't get chickens yet. But they're part of my plan in the future. A butt-and-pass chicken coop!

In 2008-09, several groups noted a spike in the interest and activities of small home gardeners. higher gas and food prices, combined with growing concerns about the quality and safety of commercial food production continue to push homeowners back into self-sufficiency.

I think this is great! For 100 years, "progress" caused populations to abandon the countryside and move into towns. Now, "progress", as we defined it then, appears to have led us astray in many ways, demonstrating that our forefathers were wiser than we recognized. Self-sufficiency is not always being completely "off the grid" in today's world. It can be small steps like three tomato plants and a few pepper plants. But if EVERYONE took that small step, think of the cumulative effect it would have on America's food industry and dependence on commercial sources. Now multiply that effect if more of us produced our own eggs (I hear they're better tasting when not raised in commercial environments, too). Keep moving this up another notch. If everyone had one acre to dedicate for their family's local food production, they could raise one steer every year on that acre for beef in their freezers (or a few field pigs - not all have to be kept in pens).

That's my ultimate plan - a small garden, ten or fewer chickens for eggs and occasional fresh rotisserie source, and a steer every year or two (to feed my family of four). I've recently estimated that those few things (along with my seasonal hunting for deer/rabbits and occasional fishing successes) would eliminate approximately 1/3 of my family's grocery purchases by volume, and close to 1/2 of those purchases by cost. An added benefit to this is that my family's diet and health would improve owing to the lack of processed ingredients and drop in biocontamination (antibiotics, pesticides, etc.). And I haven't even looked at the reduction in the much-maligned "carbon footprint".

In the end, I think it is the "right thing to do" for everyone to become more self-sufficient and raise some of their own food. Even without doomsday scenarios, it just makes sense to avoid the dangers of commercial food production and to reduce the country's (and the world's) high-impact food production model. Small-scale food production has proven time and again to be the best for quality and safety. It also just happens to be better for the small farmer's health and constitution!

Just my thoughts on the matter. I applaud everyone who goes down this path of self-sufficiency. If you can accomplish complete "off the grid" existence, great! If you can't, I still encourage small efforts to move closer to the goal of reducing corporate foodmongers and restoring farming and homesteading heritage.

DGC

Hey loghousenut

This comment has been moved <a href="http://www.loghomebuilders.org/node/7059">here</a>.