Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: the "GREEN NETWORK" (and dogs)

attached greenhouse

i just had a thought though, what if you had one of these attached to the south side of the house, maybe 3 or 4 feet into the ground, and the "roof" of the greenhouse ended below your 1st floor windows.
    would that be considered protecting your logs from rain even more, or would it make too much moisture near your logs?
    or would the overhangs cut out too much sunlight anyway?

I had a similar idea for that. I'd attach a greenhouse to the south side of the log home, mostly sunk into the ground. Then circulate the air from the greenhouse into my house. Very cheap way to heat your home. I'm not sure about the moisture problems though.

It's not entirely clear from the picture I posted before but the roof is made of glass (or some other translucent material). So you should have no problems with losing sunlight.

LHBA Member

Living Homes

LHBA member, Thomas Elpel did something similar in his home. http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Living_Homes.htm
    He built using various methods (bnp, stone, slipform, etc) and integrated a greenhouse into the south face.

telehandler

I paid $12,500 for mine, it had brand new foam filled tires, fresh paint, and was obviously extremely well maintained, (lots of grease everywhere, old mechanic buddy was very impressed with it, no leaks anywhere, started first turn) I have used it to build my entire house, and have had offers of over 10k for it, though I am keeping it. rent was over 2000 a month for one, and even if I lost 2500 on it, I have used it for over a year, which would be a cost of $200 a month, exremely well worth it. I am hoping after I have built 3 or 4 of them, I might get a little bigger lift, Mine is 37ft reach, with 6000lb capacity. it has done everything I have asked of it, though I feel like It has been at capacity a couple times, I would like to have had a little more of a cushion with reach and lift. but I can complain at all about it. I heart my Lull!!

Just do the right thing!

Too much emphasis is being placed on the dooms day scenario. The focus only needs to be on doing the right thing, simply because it`s the right thing to do.
    I am most amused that the world over there is so much talk about the need for food security, and yet so little is being done to encourage, and ensure the preservation of the methods of natural sustainable agriculture.
    I guess it all boils down to the 'those who know better doing better' scenario.
    I grew up in the islands and was fortunate to have had the oppotunity to see some of the well built shingle cottages, and experience the use of what we call in this region coal pots, and the clay ovens.
    From personal experience, I have found that the use of the inner shell of the coconut to be a very efficient means of clean burning energy,give a nice glow(a truly renewable source of energy)

My dream is to convert my family`s 36 acre farm to a log cabin heaven, while maintaining natural and sustainable methods of agriculture, including aquaponics integration.
    I am very pleased and grateful for the vast knowledge and insight that is available on log cabins through the use of this site.
    I will update the forum on the progress, and would welcome any guidance and suggestions with my project.

SpringValley

"The Best Things In Life Are Always The Most Natural"

LHBA Member

Permaculture and food forests.

SpringValley,
    I am assuming you have heard of permaculture? I have read and noted the main "text book" by Bill Mollison. He has a school in Australia also. It is not only fascinating but completely doable. Also there are good videos like "The Future of Food" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future_of_Food).
    Our ranch will be sustainable and non-reliant on any outside sources.
    It is a wonderful thing once you have built up your food forests.

Peter, you rock

Hey Peter,
    I totally agree with you. I recently read a book (can't remember the name if anyone can help out here) but it was written by a former New York Times editor, who turned survivalist. There was alot of cool information about how to survive an economic and social collapse.

LHBA Member

springvalley

im on the same page with you..n i have a similar dream. mine is more geared towards eco-retreat...orgainc farm co-op

agape.ranch..ive watched the future of food..good movie!

and welcome yummytork.

LHBA Member

rock crawler with boom queston

I have been looking at backhoes with extended booms as a contender for lifting my logs and for all the other stuff like foundation.
    Has anyone used these successfully?

the thing with backhoes, is they are designed to push down. Forklifts are designed to push up. If you have a small place (say 24x24, 14" tops) you could prolly do it. Look at the rated (extended) load, then calculate the weight of the heaviest log you will lift, multiply that by at least 1.5, and see if you can do it. Also, my lift has a max lift of 35'. I think that may be a bit too low, but I don't know a single backhoe that can come close to that height.

FWIW.

LHBA Member
    Then I am currently looking for booms.