Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: the "GREEN NETWORK" (and dogs)

electricity

What is a tesla turbine? How does it work? I have been looking into solar but don't know what to get. I have lots of wind so thought of wind generation of electricity.

Blog Entries

Veteran log house guy.

Hey, I'm a card carrying Amercan military veteran log house guy who is stuck halfway between sitting back and watching, and wanting to jump in in defense of someone who I disagree with on this particular topic. This is a log-homebuilding forum with a moderator who is very good at leaving things to wander as they may.

In the past there have been times when this forum has deviated into a writhing mass of name-calling, and defensiveness as we see the common bond that we all share (love of things log) being set aside so that we may discover our political differences. As some of us gang up on someone who demonstrates a passion for another point of view, we end up making a bad guy out of someone who has a lot in common with us as it pertains to this forum.

If I volunteered during a conflict some 30 years ago, it matters only to shed light on the fact that I have an experience with the military. The fact that I am old enough to have retired from the military before some of you were born, only indicates that I have had a few extra years to think things over.

I think what matters on this forum is our unique similarities and not our differences. I commend those of you who are champing at the bit to say your piece on this thread but have chosen to remain silent. My appologies to those I have offended.

All good points !

AND a very cool - "log dog"!
    If he doesn't make you smile - nothing will!

Point well taken my friend.

Point well taken my friend.

heating a greenhouse

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock
    I am looking at green house stuff becasue in Washington we need more heat units for certain kinds of vegatables.
    Greenhouses do require heat at times. I saw an article in a farm show magazine some time back in which a lady used the heat generated from her compost pile to heat the beds in her greenhouse. It extended her growing season significantly. You probably would have a hard time generating enough compost on your own for this, but if you had some brought in(manure/shavings, lawn clippings, etc) it might work out well.

Loghousenut, your dog is very yodaish. :cool:

Blog Entries

Compost...

Quote Originally Posted by greenthumb
    Quote Originally Posted by rocklock
    I am looking at green house stuff becasue in Washington we need more heat units for certain kinds of vegatables.
    Greenhouses do require heat at times. I saw an article in a farm show magazine some time back in which a lady used the heat generated from her compost pile to heat the beds in her greenhouse. It extended her growing season significantly. You probably would have a hard time generating enough compost on your own for this, but if you had some brought in(manure/shavings, lawn clippings, etc) it might work out well.

Loghousenut, your dog is very yodaish. :cool:

When the tree butchers clear the powerlines I am a dependable place for them to leave a load or two of wood chips. We use the stuff for mulch and pathways. It steams for quite awhile while it is still green and I have always wondered if a little nitrogen fertilizer would make it hot enough to somehow use. Too much work of course but it's always fun to think about something for nothing.

PS... When I let the dog read your post she said "Very perceptive he is!".

Blog Entries

What a killer face

That is one cute partner you got there.

Oehler greenhouse

You could always try a Mike Oehler style inground greenhouse. It's even easier to heat as it's surrounded by earth on all but one side.

living in Portland, OR & building in Ashford, WA

that is cool!

that is cool!
    i don't have enough of a hill on the property, but that could be remedied by moving dirt around.

i just had a thought though, what if you had one of these attached to the south side of the house, maybe 3 or 4 feet into the ground, and the "roof" of the greenhouse ended below your 1st floor windows.
    would that be considered protecting your logs from rain even more, or would it make too much moisture near your logs?
    or would the overhangs cut out too much sunlight anyway?

hmmm....

Hot Chicks

I just read somewhere that chickens put out the same heat as a 40 watt bulb ( not sure if true or not ) If you could raise a flock/gaggle/herd of these inside the greenhouse during the winter.... :-)

Tesla Turbine
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tesla-turbine.htm/printable