Thread: yet another way to build in style.....I think.

yet another way to build in style.....I think.

hey folks check this out.
    Not sure I would go this route.
    still looks like a cool concept though.
    Wonder how much it would cost to do it this way.

http://www.greendiary.com/entry/recycled-containers-transformed-into-trendy-homes/

Interesting

I like most of them.

Blog Entries

One thing fer durn sure....

It's not butt n pass.

This is one of the newest green construction techniques.

I have looked at this a great deal. If I do not build a proper log cabin, of course read butt and pass. I will go this route for my retirement home. There are a few inherent and unusual expenses involved in this kind of construction. The foundation works just like any other foundation except you need to install weld pads to lock the individual containers together and to the foundation. The traditional bolts installed in the foundation can still be used, but alignment in the ?container setting process? could be a little tricky. First you will need to purchase and transport the appropriate number of containers to your location. The second step is off loading them from truck to your foundation, think crane or some similar lifting system. Next is something we touched on earlier, the services of a competent welder to tie all of the containers to the foundation and together. Doors, windows, and the internal wall configuration can all be added or changed with a plasma cutter. Obviously doors and windows will need some reinforcement. Your internal wall configuration may need an occasional vertical support depending on how open space you want your internal design to get. I have heard some talk about removing the wooden flooring because is supposed to be treated with pesticide, but I haven?t been able to verify that. Sprayed foam insulation seems to be the preferred route due to its adhesion to the interior metal walls. With sprayed foam there is no air space between wall and insulation eliminating inner wall condensation, that would exist with bats of rolled insulation.
    On the plus side they are strong, fireproof, and offer quick and reasonable construction. Although the latter depends greatly on your chosen location in relation to a major seaport, semi truck accessibility and of course an appropriate lifting mechanism. Some remote sites might not allow semi or crane access. Shipping containers are readily available in 10, 20 and 40 foot lengths. They are generally 8 foot 6 incheshigh and the same wide, although some containers 12 or 14 feet high, I don?t remember of the top of my head. Using conventional construction as well as metal working techniques can yield a home that is completely conventional in appearance. Some of the websites and examples do little to camouflage you are construction with shipping containers. If you are going for that kind of ?look? then more power to you; it is one less expense in the final budget.

*thread hijack in

*thread hijack in progress*

I've been looking at earthbag building for a while now, as well. I had been reading about how to make a low-cost guesthouse using low-impact technologies. I looked at rammed earth and similar techniques, and I was intrigued with earthbags. There is a great book on building small structures with earthbags with little or no outside assistance/engineering, which was right up my alley for the guesthouse.

Of course, now I'm thinking to myself that the weird looking earthbag domehouse might look out of place next to the butt-and-pass log house. I guess I'll have to build it out of visual range.

DGC