Thread: Specific software question

Specific software question

I'm planning ahead for the class in October and the design efforts AFTER the class. I'm thinking about software for the log-by-log stacking in the software, and I wondered if any of the members (in the members-only area probably) had a macro or wizard designed for any of the major software products that would make the butt-pass stacking faster or more efficient. I can certainly do the log stacking one at a time (in MUCH less time than the real stacking), but I just wondered if anyone had built a faster, customized tool for doing that. If so, would you mind telling me which software package it's for?

DGC

Your Brain will work fine!!

IMHO I believe you will find that software will be useless after the first row of logs. These are logs you will be using and they are not perfectly straight, or round, or tapered, or without blemishes. A program that would take all of that into consideration would be considerably large and the time required to input all of that data would take you longer than it will take to build the house. Use the knowledge you gain in the class and everything will work out fine.

Blog Entries

Wait for the class

Wait for the class and all your questions will either be answered or the answers are just a post away to the member's only area.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not

Don't get me wrong - I'm not looking at the software for specific planning on my home. I know full well that I have to be flexible and willing to make adjustments as the walls go up.

I'm just thinking about using the software for floorplan and design ideas. If there was a fast option for putting the walls in place in the software, I could tinker around with different internal floorplans, scrapping one house design, redrawing the exterior a different size, different foundation, etc... I'm just wondering if anyone has built a fast macro to put the walls up for people who are in brainstorming mode.

DGC

Blog Entries

We used the computer...

We used Google Sketchup for log modeling and Punch Pro for floorplanning. In the end we had an archetect referred from LHBANA working with revised stock plans and came out happy. Believe me when I say that anything you do in planning now will change after you've been to class. I can hear all of Skip's students nodding their heads in agreement when I say that even the basic shape of your home will change from what you have in your mind right now. For me going to class was a lifechanging experience and I had dreamed about log building since I was a child.