Thread: Introduction and Search in Mississippi

Introduction and Search in Mississippi

Hello, all,

As is the story with most people who arrive here, I stumbled on this website while diligently researching log home options. THANK HEAVENS I GOT HERE! I was nearing the commitment to plan for saving and purchasing the kit materials for a dry shel, doing much of the labor myself, from a major manufacturer (hadn't decided which yet). Then, I found this site and the world became so clear and simple - or so it seems.

I've wanted a log home for years, and after reading LOTS of information on this site, I am quite content to get all my knowledge from the class (in October) and then embark on a simple 40x40 design with two stories. I can arrange the interior walls however I like (or, at least, however my wife likes) and still have 2400 internal sq. feet (leaving half the second floor open to below for loft view). That's plenty of house for us and our two children.

After educating myself as much as possible with the information accessible by non-members, I am convinced that the LHBA method (the "skip method") not only works, but is quite simply a superior method for building any home out of wood materials. Thanks very much to all the members who regularly answer questions, discuss issues and provide valuable information to non-members!
    I ran home to report my revelation to my wife, who was not as enthusiastic, owing to her cautious nature. To avoid making this endeavor harder on me in the future, I've tried not to proselytize too much and turn her off to these concepts. I'd really like to sell her on the idea that this is actually possible and actually works.?

Thanks very much to everyone for your time and assistance, and particularly to the members who go out of their ways to help us newbies!

Damon C

Damon

Welcome, and congrats on finding this site before you spent money on kit logs.

Just show your wife the pics of the log homes built by students, and that should be enough to soften her stance. Nobody wants to be persuaded, they want to see for themselves. Remember The Matrix!

You will enjoy class. If you can bring her along it will give you an edge because you won't have to "sell" anything to her during the building process.

Thanks, Fossten. I can

Thanks, Fossten. I can assure you that my wife probably WON'T join me for the class. However, her father likely WILL. He's an old-school pine tree farmer. Heck, it might even be his logs we use for the house!

Anyway, he is extremely interested in low-cost building, and last year he also became interested in log homes. So, this is right up his alley. He's likely the person who would be helping me with the majority of the work on-site, so it makes sense for him to go along. Frankly, my wife probably wouldn't want to do anything other than just move in when it's built.

Damon C

Budget with 0 mortgage!!

As suggested -there is a wealth of info & pictures that
    are available on the public side.........if you can get her to spend some time just reading ..you can almost feel the excitement & enthusiam as people realize that their "someday" dream of being debt free can be a LOT sooner than many ever considered - before finding the LHBA website.

Laying out your current budget but with NO mortgage & then listing all the things that you could do with that
    $ figure may at least get her thinking.

We were very much like you a year ago and are so grateful that we found this incredible source of info & encouragement! In our case, I had to convince my husband that this was the answer we had been looking for! We will begin building this coming spring.

Best of luck. Visualize your log home. You will get there.

Zero Mortgage

My wife and I have determined that because we're not rushing things, we'll be able to pay cash up front as we accumulate mat'ls and tools. That means the first big purchase will be either logs or a basement. That's an encouraging thing.

Welcome!

Welcome and congratulations on deciding to take the class! you won't regret that decisions. for us, it was my husband who was the skeptic. After taking the class though (by noon of the first day actually) he was convinced that the LHBA was was not only a very viable method but a also that we could do this ourselves!

getting out of debt (we only have our current mortgage left to pay off) and paying for your tooks and materials as you go has become a way of life for us. such a relief not having all that debt weighing us down!

building our log home and paying as we go, sure takes all the pressure off. don't need to meet certain timeframes to satisfy a bank for a construction loan etc.

again congratulations and welcome!
    now, read all the public forums. took me about 2 months to get through everything. sure helped me form some good questions for class time:) have fun!

LHBA Member

logs in Mississippi

Hey dgc,
    I attended the class in Feb of 09.
    I'm looking for logs to build in the McComb/Brookhaven, MS area. I thought I had a source for cypress, but then the guy decided they would cost triple the price he had originally talked about. So I'm back searching for logs.
    Let me know if your father-in-law might be able to supply both of us. When you get on the members' forum, I'm keithd. Looking forward to hearing from you and maybe "partnering up."