Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other peoples reactions?

Niche Markets

Chad, you're correct about the current state of the housing market. However, markets change, and many of us won't be finished with our houses for a couple of years at least. Furthermore, if you want to avoid capital gains tax it behooves you to live in your house for at least two years anyway.

I don't disagree with your assessment but it pays to examine all facets of the issue.

markets

well the housing market in ca.?has started? to bottom-but for a log home there will always be a market and people who want a nice one-Rockclimbers home is a nice one

Hopefully the banks will?see it as a custom home and lend according

I personally dont think ?there will be a problem selling that home

Gonna have a house hating myself

LOL...oh that is GREAT! I'm gonna have to have a house hating when the time rolls around. It's amazing how many people are SOOOO sure there is only one way to skin a cat. I've had two building inspectors here in Louisville that are telling me if I want to build these I can create a new niche market and they have never seen the first picture of what any member has built. I can't wait to invite my riends and family members over that tell me how it just won't work. Suckers.

living in Portland, OR & building in Ashford, WA

i guess we are lucky....

i guess we are lucky, our friends have had only admiration for us, the ones that we have talked to so far anyway.

maybe they know us too well, hehe.
    they know we are both stubborn and determined (like a team of mules, maybe?)

the loggers that sold us the logs kept saying, "do you know how big these logs are?" so i think they may have some doubts about us.... but at the same time they said they want to be invited to the housewarming....
    :D

Same here, lucky to have

Same here, lucky to have supporting friends & family.

I tend to "filter out" negative people anyways, if they always complain & nag, why do I want to be around them anyways?? :)

I think my parents were surprised when I showed them the picture of 110 logs sitting in the front yard :) that's when they truly understood we ARE building this house!

It's so much better once you finally get to actually live in it too. I think everyone should build a house, at least once in their life.

LHBA Member

people's reactions are fun.

people's reactions are fun. When i was talking, planning, and so forth, people tried to discourage me and flat-out said i wouldn't do it. When the logs arrived, they continued to try to discourage if they didn't know me. The ones that knew me knew i was in for the long haul.

As the walls started to go up, people visited to see this giant box that was going up, the rafters and so forth. By the 6 month mark, when the roof was going on, all the talking was behind my back. Nobody told me i couldn't anymore; all the comments were about how i'd done it wrong and it would never last.

AFter a year, the porches were going on, the gables were framed and it started to look like it does now, even though the inside was a complete wreck. That's when people started saying, "wow, this is a beautiful place you have" and "this is going to be great when you get done"

When we moved in, people were dumbfounded. Visitors would arrive, look up at the ridgepole, and all of the "how did you" questions would begin, even though no trim was up and the place was still a mess

Now, we are having parties once a month. All of our friends and relatives want to use our house for their parties, because it's the nicest one in the family or among the friends, and built to entertain. The people that didn't believe before just come to the parties and complement, never remembering that they were discouraging me from doing this.

Funny how short people's memories are

Quote Originally Posted by Basil
    The people that didn't believe before just come to the parties and complement, never remembering that they were discouraging me from doing this.
    FUNNY how short people's memories are WHEN THEY'RE WRONG!

naysayers

I heard a great comment once...

The only people qualified to tell you you can't do something is someone who has already done it... and chance are they will encourae you that you can!

I am coming up on two years from the class and on the edge of putting $$ in for permits and foundation... the dream is still alive

Yoopers Pat

Shark

Shark,

I gotta say your house is looking good. I'm stealing all kinds of ideas from you!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fossten
    Shark,

I gotta say your house is looking good. I'm stealing all kinds of ideas from you!
    Thanks fossten, use whatever you like :) I borrowed many idea's from other members along the way.