Thread: Moving small 12' x 16' cabin 300 miles

Moving small 12' x 16' cabin 300 miles

I recently purchased a 12' x 16' log structure from the estate of my great-great uncle who lived north of Winston-Salem, NC on a large tobacco farm. He had it moved to his farm from another family member's adjoining property sometime during the 1970s. To my knowledge, it has never been chinked and was likely used as a corn crib (corn storage unit) during the past 150 +/- years.

I live in Richmond, Virginia, approx. 300 miles via interstate from its current NC location. I need to move the log building to my property here, and after looking at a couple of older posts, it seems many suggest moving it intact without dismantling the structure. A few locals in NC said I should reinforce each of the corners with 2" x 6" crossed beams for transporting, and simply remove the roof. However, I'd like to hear what the experts recommend. Any help you could provide on best methods for transport/estimated costs would be greatly appreciated. My intention is to place it on a stone foundation and restore the structure: chink it using modern chinking methods, add a four-light door, at least two windows and finishing the interior so it's suitable for a small office. Possibly even replacing the current roof with a higher pitched roof to create a sleeping loft.

A few notes: although it appears someone crudely numbered each of the logs with hash marks at some point, it doesn't appear it has ever been dismantled. The rough door frame is nailed to the logs using hand-forged nails that are at least 100 years old -- long before it was moved to its current location in the 1970s. The logs are oak, and still have bark in some places. I have been told by one log home enthusiast that the dovetail construction method looks European.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have never attempted to

I have never attempted to move something like this, so take this free advice for what it's worth :)

Since it's basically a log shell, it's not chinked at all, I would say mark each piece as you disassemble. It will be much cheaper to ship this way, 300 miles seems like a decent ways to move it if you leave it together.

Looks like a cool project!

Best advice I can give...

Buy this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Hewn-Log-House-Step-Step/dp/1580175902

Good Luck, as Shark said, cool project.

J.

I would move myself

trwjrmarine
    here in Florida you can get a 3 day permit for up to 12' wide for $5.00. With a dually and a 20' heavy equiptment trailer you should be able to raise it put on trailer and move it intact,as long as the hieght requirements for your area are met. moving intact would save a lot of headaches even if you had to remove the roof.

LHBA Member

Have you contacted any

Have you contacted any modular or mobile home folks? Seems the guys that truck those may have some knowledge or advice you need. Then again, times being what they are and business so very slow, you may be able to hire them cheap and let them do it for you.

moving a home

<a href="http://wyoming.craigslist.org/grd/1194769842.html">http://wyoming.craigslist.org/grd/1194769842.html</a>

might email this guy--he got the whole home on a truck bed.