Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icf

Icf

Does anyone know of a site I can use to estimate the cost of a rectangular 30' x 40' x 9.25' ICF basement, (including slab & roof/floor slab), I'm looking to bury the basement 5.5' - 6' in the ground and have windows above grade, I'm interested in the vertical ICF system, with a slab underneath, and a slab over the top as well, it is then going to be a butt and pass log cabin on top of the basement.

The ICF basement will be split into a 20' x 30' main room, central stairs, two guest bedrooms, a bathroom and a laundry room occupying the other 20' x 30'!

Probably planning on building in Southern Idaho or Northern Utah.

Hi there. welcome!
    we used ICF and found that most vendors had calculators on their sites

Same here, and if not, the local supplier did and was more than willing to provide a free quote.

Thanks guys!

LHBA Member
    Presently Rock Hill SC, property in NC. Longing to get started!
    For those who've used ICFs, did you find it was more expensive than say concrete only or traditional concrete block? Anyone used "dry stack" method? I too would like to use ICF for a completely below grade basement. I am a novice but I like the idea of the "floor" of the basement to free float so to speak on footers. The "roof" of the basement to poured using ICF's. I'm new so I don't know if I can link the url. However, once the basement "ceiling"/slab is completed, build our log home above grade. After reading here on the forum I'm thinking we'd spend **way** more dollars on the basement than the above grade log home.

Comments???

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    We are currently building our basement. We have been excuvating forever it seems We hope to pour our footers this week but it is slow going and I need to find help for the day of the pour. Hope to get a hold of the concrete people tomorrow to get someone out here to see if they can even get down here. If they can't we are in trouble. If that works out we will probably be doing ICF walls in the next few weeks. I have had a hard time getting someone out here to give me an estimate on doing the pour conventional so if we get it figured out we will just go ICF. Others have said cost wise it is just about a wash.

When we were trying to get bids on our foundation walls, they were coming in way high. ($12,000 I think) We decided to use ICFs and do it ourselves and it cost us about $5,000 for everything. I don't have my figures with me so don't quote me. I do know it was less than half of what a traditional pour would have cost me to get done.
    Work Safe!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dvb View Post
    When we were trying to get bids on our foundation walls, they were coming in way high. ($12,000 I think) We decided to use ICFs and do it ourselves and it cost us about $5,000 for everything. I don't have my figures with me so don't quote me. I do know it was less than half of what a traditional pour would have cost me to get done.
    And the insulation was free!

Regular+ User
    Don't mean to hijack thread but need fast question answered ----- I have access cheap to ICFs that are a 6" core. 16" x 11 1/4" x 48L. $12 a piece and they came from Menards (Fox Blocks) where normal price is $19.98. Someone gave up on the building they planned on doing.

There are enough to do basement walls on a 30x34 building 96" in height.
    My question or concern is this - will a 6" core support a 30x34 1 story and loft or will I need a larger core like an 8" or 10" ???
    I know logs are mighty heavy so not sure if I should grab these or not.
    Aprreciate any and all opinions

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FishingAddict View Post
    Don't mean to hijack thread but need fast question answered ----- I have access cheap to ICFs that are a 6" core. 16" x 11 1/4" x 48L. $12 a piece and they came from Menards (Fox Blocks) where normal price is $19.98. Someone gave up on the building they planned on doing.

There are enough to do basement walls on a 30x34 building 96" in height.
    My question or concern is this - will a 6" core support a 30x34 1 story and loft or will I need a larger core like an 8" or 10" ???
    I know logs are mighty heavy so not sure if I should grab these or not.
    Aprreciate any and all opinions
    FA, 8" core is usually required for the load and it is suggested to use 10" if using larger logs for if anything else esthetic purposes. I'm not an engineer, but I think others here would agree and I'm not giving out any LHBA secrets.

Log Home Dan, Block is not strong enough to support these structures, especially those larger logs we'd like to build with. I've seen many "kit" homes on blocks and other "large log" structures on block and to be honest most of them had foundation problems.