So, we're still dreaming of a log home and getting closer in the sense that we are now totally debt free, but we still need to buy land, etc.

Anyway, our problem is that we'd LOVE to do log but, like many on this forum, need someplace to live while building that DOESN'T cost more than our logs. Motorhomes/trailers aren't as readily available here as in the lower 48, so that is rare and a usually cold/wet/nasty option when found (and we have 4 kids at home). So, I've looked into yurts and tipis, small cabin construction, various other possibilities, and my current research interest is dealing with starplate connectors.

Here's a Mother Earth News article that explains it: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1985-01-01/The-Starplate-Connection.aspx And I've seen adds for starplate connectors in Countryside magazine at strombergschickens.com

So here's the dilemma/question: We need more space than a 9' (what they state as limits -- 2 x 4x 9' struts = 10,000 lb total roof load per website, about 57lbs/sq ft) strut would allow. We plan to switch to 2 x 6's regardless for insulation reasons, fyi. We could build 3 huts for the needed space, but would prefer one large one with a self-supported loft and one small one to house the bathroom/closet/storage/entry. We're considering doing something like use 16' 2 x 6's/8's with a center post for roof support, and possibly even a second hut frame immediately inside the first for a doubled-wall (extra insulation and also extra strength/support when tied together sufficiently). Building codes here aren't an issue (they only care about septic and zoning). I'm wondering if any of you have experience with these buildings and if you think the above would be a safe/strong building option for our cheap place to live while building. I've emailed the manufacturers about extending the length, adding a center post, and doubling the wall, and received no response to date. My non-engineer brain tells me that should be enough overkill to make it safe and strong (along with all the extra studs we'd have to tie it together with for wall sheathing, etc), but I just want to be on the safe side.

Thanks guys and gals,