Thread: Logosol debarker

Logosol debarker

Has anyone seen this? $239 Logosol debarker that uses a chainsaw
    to remove bark.

http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/accessories/log_wizard.php

"Log Wizard

An attachment that turns your chainsaw into a highly efficient debarker. Cutter head, special guide bar, chain and guard. Three models: For large and small chainsaws."

LHBA Member

As it uses a blade to do

As it uses a blade to do your debarking, I can only imagine how it would scar the log up.. I am guessing that this is more for sawmills than log homes.

Ragdump I have a log

Ragdump

I have a log wizard,I was never able to make it work as well as there video's ,it can really scar up a log,it's hard to control,I even bought a small Echo chainsaw with a tail handle and a short bar that helped. Green wet logs really make a mess the ground up bark shoots right out the back onto your pants shirt and face. Every tank of gas I had to clean the air cleaner it got clogged so fast. When I got done with a log it looked like it was debarked with a axe. It may be good for other things I kinda gave up on mine. I had better luck with the hard to peal big logs using a Bosch Demolition Hammer with a 2" chisel bit if your careful it won't hurt the log but you need to practice some

Log Wizard

I have a Log Wizard and it worked great. I used it to flatten one side of my floor joist logs, notch for the floor joist logs and peel smaller logs for my stairway and loft railings and ballusters.

I have a healthy Husqvarna chainsaw though. It's a monster, however, it used to be on a small to medium Stihl.

The only drawbacks are, if your chainsaw bar has a sprocket on the end, it takes a little adjustment to get the drive teeth of the chain to synchronize. Not impossible, though. If you don't, it damages the drive teeth. Additionally, it uses 3-1/4" planer blades and require sharpening after a while, or, you can buy replacement blades for about 25 bucks.

It gave my handrails a sort of hand-peeled look, but not really. They look good though.

Logosol Debarker and Log Wizard

Paul Kahle commented extensively on using a log wizard in building his fantastic looking home. Here is a link to his website, it is fantastic!

http://www.paulkahle.com/log.html

This is excellent reading for anybody attempting to build their log home.

Log wizard

I purchased a log wizard (actually a Hudson product for less money), and have used it extensively. A lot of my logs were scuffed and needed to be smoothed up. The Wizard did a great job. I have it mounted on an Electric chainsaw so it's probably not as aggressive as on a gas saw. I also purchased the cutterless chain to use so it wouldn't eat you up accidentally.

It is great to make notches, smooth a log, and perfect for notching out for joist hangers. Much better than using a chain saw.

I thinking it is probably the best tool I have purchased for my project. You have to watch for rebar tho; or it's a new set of blades if you don't.

I never used it to strip bark - It would mark up the log a lot.

We are now moved in but not finished - but it's nice to be out of the barn! Still have some inside stuff to do.

Vern and Sara Street
    www.vernstreet.com

Can anyone recommend me the best product from the list mentioned in this site.
    https://onlychainsaw.com/best-electric-chainsaw/

Mine is not on the list. I have a 18" worx corded that I bought at Home Depot. I have no complaints. It's light and I really like the hand wheel device they have to tighten/loosen the chain. When I'm up high, I like a lighter saw.

I was afraid to buy cordless, because I wasn't sure how it would stand up to the size logs we cut. Cordless technology has come a long way. I have a Ryobi cordless drill that I love. I've had it for years, usually cranking in screws. It came as a kit with a cordless circular saw that is just about useless for anything over 1/2 inch. My fear with cordless chain saws would be that they would be like my circular saw. OK for small stuff and useless for the big stuff.

You have to question the survey if they didn’t even include a Stihl.

I have 3 Stihls; a 25” 441; a 16” 261 and a 14” 200 (battery). I love each one for what it’s for. Battery charge lasts a good long time. Great for small work. Would I recommend it for an only saw? No. I can’t think of any saw that fits that category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LHBA Member
    Don’t know what is best on that list.
    I did buy the Greenworks 40V 16" for $115 in Nov 2017 (saw, batt. & charger) and am happy with it, use it a lot. Works great limbing, etc. up to 4”, will go about 2 hours at my pace - chains are easy to sharpen and cheap as well. Most of those saws use the thin chain so you have to be a bit careful to not twist it off the bar.
    If you like Amazon Prime, set up a daily alert for specials; that’s how I happened to buy it. They have ran the Greenworks 40 and 80 volt a few times this year so far. If you look at that list deeper than the few on the email there are a LOT of specials site wide.
    Good luck!
    Dave