Thread: eco-domes - homes from dirt

eco-domes - homes from dirt

Interesting building technique featured in the recent issue of Dwell magazine. A friend of mine at the UN says she has seen these designs put into practice with amazing results:

http://www.calearth.org/EcoDome.htm

has anyone been by the Cal-Earth Institute and seen one of these things in person?

sky domes how about yurts

i have just discovered yurts, cheap and easy t o put up .sky domes are in the same lines as cheap and easy was to live morgage free

LHBA Member

Yurts can be very cozy. The nice thing is that you can build your own without the need to buy one of the popular kits.
    Probably the biggest problem I've seen with them is that people that tend to live in them think of them as "permanent housing." A Yurt is not meant to be. They can benefit from being taken down, shaken out and reassembled every now and then. I've seen Yurts that have been standing in the same spot for years delvop all kinds of mold problems.
    I don't think most people, let alone home owners realize that the greatest source of moisture in the home is not from the climate oustide, but that which is produced by the humans that live within.

Call me conservative, but nomadic housing should be treated as such.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, another alternative housing movement embraces Cob construction. I keep thinking of the three little pigs--straw, mud, & etc.

Actually, I'm helping a friend learn to build with this method. I'm curious if it actually stands up to what it's proponents claim. Something in me keeps making me think that wading up to one's elbows in mud on a cold dreary morning is as about as close to 12th century surfdom as one can get....

Regards

If you're interested in domes, I'd check out monolithic domes. I'd love to have one built if I had the money.

Cal-Earth

Hi there,

I realize this thread is pretty old now, but just in case it benefits the original poster, I thought I would share that I have visited the Cal-Earth facility. I also built a shed partially using their method.. and plan on building the bulk of the first phase of our house using that method as well.

Anyway, if you have any questions let me know. Probably best to e-mail me directly at stephensamson@yahoo.com