Thread: Tips on pier and beam please.

Tips on pier and beam please.

I am planning to build our log home on pier and beam/cinder block. I am not sure on the footings and how deep to dig. I am not in danger of freeze here in texas. I am planning to pour the blocks solid with cement anr rebar all the way to the bottom, and stacking them in two's making the piers 16" square. Should I just dig a hole and pour in cement for a pad or build with just the soild blocks above ground to set my beams on ? Pine 8x10 beams. I built a model of the home. 30x50 with 6 support beams 10 ft. apart.

Cool Model

Sorry I don't have the answer for your foundation, but very cool model! I would dig the hole and pour a footer in the bottom at least 12" thick with rebar and then stack blocks from there. A house is very heavy and you don't want settling problems, you need to make sure you spread the weight enough.
    Dean
    LHBA Class of Feb. 2006
    Best investment of my life.
    http://s522.photobucket.com/albums/w343/deanbrossman/

Re cool model

Good work on the model,,,,,

I would make certain the tops of the doors and windows are all the same elevation.

As per your local codes and foundation it is best to check with your counties specific requirements at the county building office :)

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

block foundation

As I recall cinder block foundation comes up in class and is not recommended based on the weight of a log home.

Mr E might have said something about pouring concrete into them as a possibility but if I'm not mistaken they still dont recommend this technique.

Perhaps someone else remembers...

cinder block foundation for log house

In concurrence with Yuhjn, "never"

Tips on pier and beam

In Colorado, you are required to have a test of the soil base you intend on building. Then, and engineer makes a design based on the soil and geologic qualities. It varies from state to state and county to county. Here, the engineer makes the call and you cannot build without his 'wet-stamped' foundation drawings.

I could make suggestions on your foundation (I was a Civil Engineer in a former life) but your building code requirements depend on your county and would still require a Civil Engineer's blessing, probably.

Hope this helps.

Jeff