Thread: Green or Dried, Pro & Con

Green or Dried, Pro & Con

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to build within the next year and have made a choice of the wood species (Eastern White Pine) with logs at a minimum of 10 inches. I'd like to get some views on any advantages or disadvantages on green or dried logs for construction.
    I would also like to hear from anyone who has built with green logs and who owns one.

...It depends

are you talking BnP construction? I would be fine either way. If you are doing saddle notch, etc the green will settle A LOT.

If you are doing bnp, you'll really want to take the class, if you learn one thing you didn't know, it will have paid for itself.

good luck!

-Peter

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

Green logs... again

Thom...
    Logs take about 1 inch per year to dry... Hence, all log home built with real logs are green. Even kiln dried stick frame home shrink a little.
    My log home is built with logs that were cut in Jan, peeled by May and stacked in July.
    You can see pictures of my home below.
    Best of luck

Green or Dry

Thanks for your replies. It seems whether it was dry or not, the only thing that appears different is the amount of shrinkage that will happen. I can deal with that.