Thread: Moving a window in a newly constructed log home

Moving a window in a newly constructed log home

Has anyone ever moved a window in a log home?
    Our kitchen window has to be moved in order for it to be centered in the room.
    Will this move and process affect our home in any negative way?
    The process sounds difficult and makes us a bit worried about our home after the window is moved to the correct place.

your window

has the home been built? If not, I suspect it will be fine to recenter it. What method are you building? We know BnP best. We know something of other methods, but will be the most help on custom, bnp homes. Don't even ask about kits.

That said, moving a window once it has been built is next to impossible. you can make it bigger, but moving it will be very difficult, and won't work well.

-Peter

Re: SM Emma Move a Window

Welcom SM Emma. I'm not a contractor or do I have to much experience remodling. With that said, the legal stuff. Here's my oppinion on the subject.

If you remove a window obviously something has to go in it's place. If you place logs in there it may not match and it will appear unbalanced. I suggest you don't remove it but add 1 or 2 more windows spaced evenly of the same size next to it to balance the room out. This will: Balance the look, add more light & and provide a better view outside.

If thats not an option try these: Remove the window and add a wider one in it's place. Remove the window patch the wall with similar logs and add shingle siding on both sides to cover the log patch and balance the look. Hope this helps Al B. Slidell, La.

If you mean 'move a window

If you mean 'move a window in an existing log home', then I'd say it's probably easier to move the whole log home to where you want the window to be.

Guess what I'm getting at is, you don't want to be moving windows.

Only consider the following

Only consider the following if the home can handle the following suggestion from a structural standpoint...

You can make a window opening larger or create a double/triple wide opening to make things more balanced.

Proceed with caution though.