Thread: Solid fuel stove

Solid fuel stove

Hi all
    Im just about to invest in a solid fuel stove. I'm unsure what one to go for I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Should I look out for a catalytic converter type or do most of the new models look after this. Im considering buying a Mulburry 'Beckett'
    Cheers
    Brian
    Ireland

Seems the word around here

Seems the word around here is that the Blaze King KEJ 1107 is the way to go. LHBA member Lester Bowman (also owner of Bowman's Stove & Patio) reaffirmed to me that it is THE stove to get.

I don't know if it can be had over in Ireland though. I couldn't find much information on Mulberry Stoves, and suspect it's probably manufactured on your side of the pond. In any case, I strongly believe in catalytic stoves, not so much because they are more friendly to the environment, but rather for their efficiency. This video really sold me on caddy stoves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwNYI6ME7kA

solid fuel

I think by solid fuel, you mean wood. I don't know much about coal, but this is also an option, as are pellets/corn stoves.

As far as wood, I would co non cat, as these use brains to burn the fuel completely, rather than expensive platinum, rhodium, etc. They tend to last longer and with fewer problems.

Let us know how your choice works out, as they say, "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

-Peter

soild fuel

thanks for the comments Im also looking at the Hercules range cant find any dealers here for the blaze king, anyone in Ireland have any success with multi fuel stoves
    cheers
    Brian

Solid fuel Hercules

This is the info on their brochure. Does this info mean anything Im especially interested 'effective after burn control ' but what does it all mean!!

The Hercules Range of stoves are powerful, robust and cabable of performing the most demanding task. These stoves have been throughly tried and tested to withstand the harsh rigours of continuous mutifuel firing. The Hercules is cabable of reaching unparalleled burn rates that can give you as much as 30kW of heat to your living area.

The Hercules boiler options have been designed to harness all the extra available heat and use it to power home central heating and hot water systems. Three sizes of boiler models can easily heat between 9 and 22 standard sized radiators whist still allowing 2.5 to 3kW to heat the hot water tank.

The Broseley Hercules 12B Multi-fuel boiler stove has standard features like a riddling grate, effective after ? burn control (tertiary air for even grater burn efficiency) and also can be easy dismantled for easy installation. The 12kw (40,000btu) boiler in the Broseley Hercules 12B Multifuel Boiler Stove gives out 4kw of heat to the room, 2.5kw to water and 6kw to central heating: enough to power 9 standard size single radiators. Boiler fittings on the back of the Broseley Hercules 12B Multifuel Boiler Stove are 1 1/2"bsp. Boiler pressure tested in accordance with BS 3377 to 2.1 bar.

"puffing"

zero:

Always be wary of claims of "the best," " rigorous," etc. They are completely legal and not required to be backed up. Perhaps a link to the Hercules stove site might help. I suspect that as a boiler, it will be smoky. Water boils @ 212 deg F, and smoke doesn't burn completely 'till much higher. This leads to an incoplete, inefficient burn. But like I said, I don't know anything about the unit, so this is purely speculation.

BTW, 2.1 bar is really small. atmosperhic pressure is roughly 100 000 bar. are you sure you did not forget a "M" in there?

Good luck on your search. Let us know how it turns out.

-Peter

Solid fuel stove

I'm looking into a wood gas bio fuel stove at 12,000 BTU. This would be
    for the guest house only and would place "accessable fire" outside the building.
    I did manage to find a 12,000 BTU stove for $3 more than the smaller stove.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.knowledgepublications.com/biomass_energy_fuels_and_power.htm

And, here's how I plan to use it.

http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/rbuchananlogman/?action=view&current=LEstove-1.jpg

-Rick

We just took some old

We just took some old <a href="http://www.partstap.com/Whirlpool-Parts.aspx">whirlpool parts</a> from an old machine took out the tig and welded up a nice stove for using outside. I felt like the guys on see on tv who build huge bbq out of nearly anything they can get their hands on.

bar pressure

1 bar = 14.5 PSI

atmospheric pressure = 14.5 to 14.7 PSI @ sea level

2.1 bar = 30.45 PSI