Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preserving logs...with bark??

AnneG

You must take the bark off, otherwise you will encounter bug infestations. Why they chose to leave the bark on I have know idea, other than to say they must like that bark on log look. The common sense approach is TAKE THE BARK OFF.

AnneG agree with Gene

Leaving the bark on precludes the log/wood from drying properly if it gets wet.

It provides a place for both bugs and wood eating organisms to thrive, mold to grow and "dry rot" to begin.

I too like the look of "bark on" especially birch so I understand how you feel. It is just not proper technique to leave bark on if you want your log construction to last.

In this case I would have to opt for longevity over aesthetics.

Of course it is "possible" but not advisable.

I probably would not mind doing bark on with rustic furniture because maybe I do not care so much when it collapses under uncle Buck in five years ! :)

Respectfully,

Michael , class of 1987

Glacier Park Lodge

Glacier Park Lodge

My living room hahaha

I wounder if the logs were covers with a plastic coating to protect the bark and to stop it from drying out and peeling.
    I like the idea the fram in my lg home that looks cool.

leaving bark on

winter or summer cut wood doesn't make a difference if u want to leave the bark on.The bark will stay on most woods if handled right.winter cut wood is easier especialy pine because the sap is down.summer cut pine has to be treated right away because once the sap supply is cut off bug infestation starts. Hemlock has a natural abilty to ward off the types of bugs that worm into the bark and loosen it from the surface of the wood

G.T 'n' Glacier park lodge

Thanks for the great picture, It does look kind of cool!

in honor of Skip though, we should have a midnight spudding party ! Duly noted the logs are all inside :) Again, I would never ever leave bark on any log structure I wanted to last.

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone--especially Big R--because you agee with/affirmed my thinking, of course! Fantastic picture of Glacier Natl Park Lodge--WOW! How can you not LOVE that?? Talk about bringing the "outdoors inside your home!"

I did scan and have a PDF document from Ralph Kylloe's book. But again, it appears that his camp is not actually full logs with the bark on. It is slabs of wood with bark on. Another thing about the camp, he used more of those bark-on lengths of wood for the trim inside the camp: i.e. edging where the ceiling and walls meet, etc. It really looks wonderful. It is certainly not ritzy looking--very down-to-earth and campy, cozy wonderful!

How do I get a PDF to upload?

Thanks, AnneG

AnneG

What Causes Bark to Separate from the Tree?
    During the warm summer months, there is an infusion of water into the bark of a tree causing the bark cells to swell. When a tree is cut in the summer, the water in the cells of the tree will dry up. The water in the sapwood of the tree and the water in the bark of the tree decrease at different rates. The bark tends to dry faster than the sapwood, causing the bark cylinder to shrink and crack. When this happens, it will potentially separate from around the sapwood. During the freezing months of winter, little or no water rises into the inner bark. When a tree is cut in the winter, and the sapwood and inner bark dries, there isn?t much difference in the rates of shrinkage. It is less likely that the bark will crack open and peel away from the tree.

No matter what the season, any log or post left in its natural state will potentially check or crack from the heartwood to the surface. As the wood cracks open and expands the bark can crack and separate from the tree.

When bark is being left on the log for aesthetic reasons, the bark is NAILED to the log while it is still freshly cut. Also, the log(s) must be kept in doors, a sealant is added to the butt end or end grain of the wood to further protect it from wicking water. Anything from a water-based sealant to an exterior varnish will suffice on the bark itself. Then what will be will be, it may stay on a year or 100 years if cared for.

Thanks for the pic AnneG

Ragdump I'd like to know

Ragdump

I'd like to know how they moved and handled those big logs not to tear up the bark,that had to be another big job

They are probably artificial

They are probably artificial