Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Links and Pics of your home/home in progress!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thelognoob View Post
    Fantastic work!
    Please keep posting pics! How are you stacking them , with a telehandler? How long is it taking to set a log/course? I’m sure lots of us noobs would love to know!

Congrats btw, house will be awesome!
    Telehandler seems to be the method of 90% of the builds. There's a couple builds with poles happening on the "other side."

So many variables to stacking these logs in a timely manner. IF you have rebar cut, logs staged, no windows or doors you're trying to work around, few knots that throw off your measurements, you can move with ease. The most I've stacked in a day is 8, 12 for a weekend. But that started off having my logs prepped and rebar already cut. 4 logs in 3hrs on the first day, then on that afternoon I only stacked about 4 logs in 5hrs. It varies. I had two guys helping me that day. Dropped my first course of logs down in about 6hrs total. Hope that helps.

I did buy a Dewalt cordless utility drill and a wood owl bit (review is on the member side). Its handy and fast combination for drilling.
    Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/EAJWU
    More Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ca7qYAd

"In my Father's house are many rooms: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." --Jesus of Nazerath

Prep is 90%!!
    How soon did you start after taking the class?
    Did you jump on any builds for experience?
    Question about the plans, bedrooms upstairs or down is more common?

And
    What kind of logs??
    Thanks for your info!!!!

Blog Entries
    There is no good reason to wait before taking the class. My life changed in several ways after class and we didn't start this build til a long time later.

If I had waited til it was time to build this house before taking the class I would not have been set up to make it all work AND I woulda missed out on all the LHBA type stuff I did for all those years.

If you are on the fence, you'll thank yourself later if you fall off on the LHBA side... sooner the better.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    Prep is 90%!!
    I started my build within 4 weeks after taking the class-had less than $20k saved for my build- closed on my land after putting a few thousand down, then started cutting trees. paid a few thousand for a tractor, about $5k for water/power, then about $2200 for concrete, and some other stuff, and now that money is almost gone. I put away a small amount each month (about 1/2 a house payment), but I'll need about $3-5k for the roof coming up. It's a little scary wondering if I'll be able to pay for whatever the next step is, but so far, so good. keep plowing ahead, I'm figuratively paving my own road here. I went and saw prissypink's build up in Nashville, but that's about it- no experience building other than that.

I modified the stock plans myself using a free linux program- I forget the name, but it's on my "about" page on my blog. Basically I wiped out the interior of the plans and all the doors and windows, but kept the roof/foundation/logs all the same. We put 2 beds on the main floor, and some more beds upstairs. We planned it so we can do all our living on the main floor- laundry, kitchen, entertainment, bathroom, and let the adult kids climb the stairs. Once they move out, it'll be sort of a bunkhouse for grandkids, guests, storage. But they have some issues, so it'll be a while before we get to that point.

but if you want short advice, see my quote below about cutting trees :
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

LHBA Member
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

Same could be said about planting.... Wish I had planted an acre or a few of fruit trees when I bought my place. That was old man advice given to me, "Plant some fruit trees first, before you do anything else." ~Big Mike

Which reminds me... When colder weather comes is a great time to plant trees but big box stores market that stuff in spring. My neighbor bought all kinds of fruit trees and bushes for huge discounts about a month ago.

Back in spring/summer I was behind someone who was returning a blueberry bush. It looked awful but alive and the woman at the counter gave them cash back and threw it in the trash. I tried to buy it and she told me I couldn't but I could have it, and to pull it out of the trash before something got tossed on it. I still haven't planted it but it looks great now with new growth.
    Last edited by allen84; 12-07-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Prep is 90%!!
    I helped Plumblevel set one upper level loft joist. That was the extent of my experience when i started stacking. How long after the class did I start? Which time? lol Long story, but I poured the foundation in Fall 2014, but after a few failed log purchasing experiences, real progress started this past summer.

Bedrooms upstairs or downstairs more common?? My build is a 30x30, so I'm limited to one bedroom downstairs. Undecided on the layout of the loft.

Southern Yellow Pine logs. That's what was available in softwood. "Available" is a relative term. STRAIGHT Un-milled oak or otherwise in hard to come by. Twisty, limb filled trees are everywhere, though.
    Last edited by John17three; 12-12-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/EAJWU
    More Build Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ca7qYAd

"In my Father's house are many rooms: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." --Jesus of Nazerath

Bumping for interior finished shots of Lhba homes?
    Or even in progress

I built this home last week, 30x30.

www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    Nice. I like the exposed underside of the roof. Where is this?