Thread: Nuematic bark spud?

Nuematic bark spud?

Do you think this could/would damage the log if used to remove bark?
    Just curious :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37073

~ross

I think someone has tried

I think someone has tried that, I seem to remember the comment about it being overly heavy & difficult to not-damage the logs.....

Some folks have had luck with the manual type blue scraper from home depot I think....
    (

RagdumpRemoving the bark is

Ragdump
    Removing the bark is the hard part of building a log cabin I'd try anything that might make it easyer,it's not alot of money compared to the work of peeling logs and it does say it's 11 1/2 lbs. that doesn't sound all that heavy,even if it doesn't work on all the logs is good to switch to something else once in a while to use different muscles

BARK REMOVER

I for one would like to know how well it works, if anyone decides to try it, let us know what you think.

ps. Takes a lot of air pressure to run it....................... :-)

LHBA Member

Ragdump

Hi Howard,

I was in your neck of the woods last week driving a water tender for the fires. Beautiful country back there. I liked all of the log railings that bordered the roadway. I didn't see a single home though? I spent most of my time around P-line and U-line roads and drafted some water off of Dixie at a creek. Was your property affected by the fires?

Tom

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxURLFn6jU&NR=1

Ragdump I'am the Mayor of

Ragdump
    I'am the Mayor of Ragdump The intersection of the P and U line are on my property I built the log fence didn't get it all done because of the fire,there is no house yet just a trailer but if you would have looked in where the mail box is you'd see my meadow and stacks of logs for a cabin,I guess there should be lots of logs around me now with the fire. The fire break is above me about a 1/4 mile it jumped once and got real close but they got it out
    If your up there again I'am there from Friday afternonn till sunday afternoon,I made it in every week even with the fire

this is my meadow

These are some of my logs

This is my log lifter

Pneumatic Bark Peeler?

I've used a similar tool many times to scrape up old floor tiles and it works like a champ for that purpose. However...it is very easy to dig into the substrate, albeit wood or concrete with this tool. We call it a pogo stick and it does use a lot of air when you use it. We have a fairly large compressor to operate this tool, otherwise you'd have to pause ever 50-90 seconds to let your pressure build back up again. I haven't peeled a log with it yet, but I have gouged concrete with it to an inch depth. I'd say if you pay close attention to what the blade is doing it should be doable for peeling logs.

Pneumatic Bark Peeler

I thought I would comment on the pneumatic floor scraper from Harbor Freight. I purchased one of these when we started our project thinking this would be the cat's meow for peeling bark. Here's my comments -

1. It's is too heavy to carry around, however, the weight sometimes helps you peel the bark just by the mass of the peeler as you swing it.
    2. The stroke is really small so yes, it will peel the bark but in real short strokes. You usually strip the bark in long strips as you swing the scraper.
    3. The only time it helped was on a dry end where the bark was stuck really tough on the log, i.e., to tight just to push the tool manually, but this is normally a small exception.
    4. I actually used it more without the air hooked up. The mass of the unit helped to go further when swinging into the bark, however, unless you are a 200 lb Guru in great shape, you can't do this very long. You could do the same using a standard scraper by sliding a piece of pipe over the handle for weight.
    5. Don't waste your money - I took mine back for a refund. Just purchase the standard scraper. I got mine at Ace hardware. Purchase a second one and convince a friend how much fun it is and how it works as a body builder.

I at first thought the bark peeling was the hard part of the project, but in my case cleaning and preparing the logs for staining was more work than peeling. One thing to consider is to be sure the logs are as good as you can get them before stacking. They are easier to clean up and prepare when they are on the ground.
    We are presently staining our logs, inside and out. Then, it's on to chinking.

Vern and Sara Street
    www.vernstreet.com

Pneumatic Bark Peeler

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Street
    I thought I would comment on the pneumatic floor scraper from Harbor Freight. I purchased one of these when we started our project thinking this would be the cat's meow for peeling bark. Here's my comments -

1. It's is too heavy to carry around, however, the weight sometimes helps you peel the bark just by the mass of the peeler as you swing it.
    2. The stroke is really small so yes, it will peel the bark but in real short strokes. You usually strip the bark in long strips as you swing the scraper.
    3. The only time it helped was on a dry end where the bark was stuck really tough on the log, i.e., to tight just to push the tool manually, but this is normally a small exception.
    4. I actually used it more without the air hooked up. The mass of the unit helped to go further when swinging into the bark, however, unless you are a 200 lb Guru in great shape, you can't do this very long. You could do the same using a standard scraper by sliding a piece of pipe over the handle for weight.
    5. Don't waste your money - I took mine back for a refund. Just purchase the standard scraper. I got mine at Ace hardware. Purchase a second one and convince a friend how much fun it is and how it works as a body builder.

I at first thought the bark peeling was the hard part of the project, but in my case cleaning and preparing the logs for staining was more work than peeling. One thing to consider is to be sure the logs are as good as you can get them before stacking. They are easier to clean up and prepare when they are on the ground.
    We are presently staining our logs, inside and out. Then, it's on to chinking.

Vern and Sara Street
    www.vernstreet.com

Thanks for the input, no telling how much money and time you just saved most of us. .............. :-)