Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BUILDING WITH STONE

BUILDING WITH STONE

Quote Originally Posted by WillandHelen
    WHERE DID I GET "BUILDING WITH STONE"? :D
    There's actually a book called "Building With Stone" by Charles McRaven. I've never read it. It's got good customer reviews though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0882665502/qid=1111759517/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-2162633-2619905

BUILDING WITH STONE

Right. I saw that book and thought it was geared more for those building retaining walls and landscaping stonework. I was more interested in building solid stone walls. I love the permenance of it and the fact that its made with a local natural material. It is also easy to maintain. It won't rot, rust, and the older it looks the better.

Will

BUILDING WITH STONE

I think in the long run, rock/stone is appealing and adds a more diverse apperance and I think BUYERs' almost expect some rock work in a log home

Building with stone

Quote Originally Posted by wood bug
    I think in the long run, rock/stone is appealing and adds a more diverse apperance and I think BUYERs' almost expect some rock work in a log home
    I really enjoyed the homes on this site with the smooth stone work.

That stuff is just incredible looking.

Ya know what else is incredible? I dunno if I mentioned it yet or not........

.........but ligers, man, are they cool or what?

Is it me or are all the people who have ligers totally dweebs? Not to mention that the castle in that picture, though made of wood, is totally not Skip built and could totally use Ric Carlson to do some stone work on it.
    Last edited by Steve; 01-28-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: deleted 2 broken image links

BUILDING WITH STONE

The liger is probably my favorite animal. They are so sweet. If you have one you are LUCKY.

LHBA Member

BUILDING WITH STONE

For any substantial sized home, you would probably do better with re-enforced concrete and a stone veneer. The problem with traditional masonry walls is that to allow for the weight above from any structure and the actual wall height the walls must be made correspondingly thicker and thicker as the height and weight goes up. This also means that footings must grow proportionately. At some point, it becomes too costly and too tricky to make the walls safely (for an amateur mason). You might take note that most rock-masonry homes are limited by wall height and length and usually do not include rock walls for a second story, if there is one at all. In Europe, most of the "amateur stone houses" are small hovels. But, if that is what one wants, it is a very quaint style, and has it's own attraction.

For a very rustic example of re-enforced concrete with rock veneer, take a look at Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon. You would never guess that it is simply a rock veneer on that massive foundation of steel re-enforced concrete. ---hand fitted, of course.

Slip form is great for a bang-up job, and is very easy for the novice to build, but it never quite looks right.

Regards,
    -A

BUILDING WITH STONE

It is difficult to build a two story stone house. Not as far as skill is concerened, but it takes more effort to put a 60 lbs stone in a wall at 20 ft instead of 8 ft. There are numerous examples of such in the US. Probably most built by the farmers and such that occupied them. However, Most such structures were built about 1 story with stone and then wood construction above. Adubar, you are right about the numerous issues of building a stone house over 10 ft high in stone. Long walls (~>20ft) must also have perpendicular support (buttress). The great thing about having a tall stone base is that it can cut down significantly on rot and maintenance due to stone's excelent weathering. Stone facades have come a long way recently. But the crappy ones are still prevelent. Its something you would want to really research before settling on one.

slipform /butt and pass inspiration

http//www.hollowtop.com/cls_html/limited.htm

BUILDING WITH STONE

so what about a stone foundation? ...could you get a full basement out of stone/mortar?
    J

BUILDING WITH STONE

Here is an interesting blog about building a strawbale house in Canada. The link is one of their blog entries about a field stone arch he saw a group of people building in a field near his house.

http://www.glenhunter.ca/archives/000217.html

This is a link to the group that was building the arch above.
    (Dry Stone Wall Association of Canada) Some really sweet stonework :shock:

http://www.jboyweb.com/drystonewall/

Jeff