Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BUILDING WITH STONE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LHBA Member

BUILDING WITH STONE

Some of the veneer products look great, Blayne, but that does add another cost element. I think that for a lot of people who use stone it's a combination of the cost factor (or lack thereof) and the charm of using indigenous materials. I think you're right that earthquake can be accounted for with steel within, with natural or with veneer. I remember seeing a natural stone addition (a craftsman-style turret entryway) being built in a nearby tourist town, and they were using steel someway or another (would HAVE to around here to pass code in the middle of town), but can't remember just how they did it.

Sara :D

LHBA Member
    there is a good page here on slipform stone building
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It...-Slipform.aspx

LHBA Member

More slipform site

Not like I know him or anything but....
    Doug gives a brief on his build here.
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...g/SlipForm.htm

LHBA Member

slip form house

There are several books published over the past 30 years on using the slip form method for the home owner in house building.

One of the books is titled, "Build your own stone house" by Karl and Sue Schwenke. It has been reprinted over several additions since 1975. I have a copy of their original eddition.

It does give the novice some information to start to understand the work required to use this method. To my mind, except for the lifting and moving of rocks, it is easier than trying to build stick-frame the first time.

With good planning and a good source of good looking rocks, and some practice, I believe most anyone could make a rock face that looks very esthetically pleasing.

The techniques could be employed to "dress up" a foundation as well.

that reminds me of a story about my grandfather and his admirable frugality.

When it came time to think about rocks to build the external face of the fireplace for the cabin he and my father were building, he simply added a task to his outdoor sporting excursions. Each time he was either fly-fishing or near a stream bed on one of his hikes, he carried home a few well chosen rocks.

After a couple of years, he had all the rocks he needed.

-A
    Last edited by adubar; 03-02-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adubar View Post

It does give the novice some information to start to understand the work required to use this method. To my mind, except for the lifting and moving of rocks, it is easier than trying to build stick-frame the first time.

-A
    A 5 acre lawn would also be easy... If it weren't for all that darn mowing. HaHaha.

BUILDING WITH STONE

Quote Originally Posted by WillandHelen
    WHERE DID I GET "BUILDING WITH STONE"? :D
    There's actually a book called "Building With Stone" by Charles McRaven. I've never read it. It's got good customer reviews though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0882665502/qid=1111759517/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-2162633-2619905

BUILDING WITH STONE

Right. I saw that book and thought it was geared more for those building retaining walls and landscaping stonework. I was more interested in building solid stone walls. I love the permenance of it and the fact that its made with a local natural material. It is also easy to maintain. It won't rot, rust, and the older it looks the better.

Will

BUILDING WITH STONE

I think in the long run, rock/stone is appealing and adds a more diverse apperance and I think BUYERs' almost expect some rock work in a log home

Building with stone

Quote Originally Posted by wood bug
    I think in the long run, rock/stone is appealing and adds a more diverse apperance and I think BUYERs' almost expect some rock work in a log home
    I really enjoyed the homes on this site with the smooth stone work.

That stuff is just incredible looking.

Ya know what else is incredible? I dunno if I mentioned it yet or not........

.........but ligers, man, are they cool or what?

Is it me or are all the people who have ligers totally dweebs? Not to mention that the castle in that picture, though made of wood, is totally not Skip built and could totally use Ric Carlson to do some stone work on it.
    Last edited by Steve; 01-28-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: deleted 2 broken image links

BUILDING WITH STONE

The liger is probably my favorite animal. They are so sweet. If you have one you are LUCKY.