Thread: Land, Money, Saving, What first?

LHBA Member

Land, Money, Saving, What first?

Well, I thought I'd pose a question to everyone on the forum in regard to saving money to build a log home. I'm assuming many are in the position where they can afford to start building a house, and I understand that a few on the forum are also much younger & possibly building right now. I am moving down South in a couple of months, and both me and my girlfriend are planning on saving immediately to build a log home (but & pass). As soon as we are able to save enough, we will both be attending the class in the near future. My question is...how is one able to build without a mortgage? I understand that the cost of construction can ultimately be kept lower due to the DIY & resourcefulness of the builder, but i it doable? The first step would ultimately be to buy a small parcel of land. After the parcel of land is bought, I'd like to put a trailer on the land & save $, but the g/f is against it. However, she would consider a small house. I've checked the tinyhouseblogs website & some of the smaller houses look very manageable & efficient. I figure why throw away $9,000/ yr on rent when you could build a fully-functional mini-home for the same price. Plan is this. Save money. Take Class. Buy Land. Build Mini-Home. Save every nickel. Realistically, how is one at the age of 23 able to begin building w/out a mortgage in 5yrs? Wages are low. I'm not in an opportune position to save. Input? Any Advice from someone in the same monetary situation I'm in? How much would it cost to get started? $10,000, $40,000?

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

wenzel_777 wrote:How much

Quote Originally Posted by wenzel_777
    How much would it cost to get started? $10,000, $40,000?
    "How much does it cost" is a question often asked here. It's probably the second hardest question to answer, second only to "how long does it take".

You can get started on $0 if that's what you want. But you'll be living very humbly. Or you can easily sink 150k into a home, (not including land, well, septic, permits, etc). It really depends on your priorities, your tolerance, and your lifestyle.

I think your ideas to "save money" and "take the class" are good ones though.

LHBA Member

Let me rephrase. If you are

Let me rephrase. If you are currently building. At what point did you feel ready to do so monetarily. What were your plans if you have built. What were your plans before building. And where are you today as far as building? Question for anyone & everyone.

LHBA Member

Ready?

wenzel_777,

I think everyone has their own comfort level.
    Some people build with tons of dept, others completely dept free.

In my case, for any project, I weigh the time that I can spend on it against the time I can't. To me, it is not so much a matter of money, but of time.

If you give yourself at least two years to amass much of your required building materials (beg, borrow and find them for free or nearly so), the cash outlay can be more manageable.

The class has quite a few outlines/methods shown on how to go about limiting your expenses in your build.

-A

LHBA Member

From what little you have

From what little you have written, I can't really answer your question. I started when I had $35000 saved and quickly spent it, but I'm building a large, every amenity type of home. People really aren't trying to dodge your question-it's just too subjective based on your comfort level and what you are building. I also paid somebody else to do My foundation, so some of the money I spent I could have saved by doing work myself.

I can tell you one thing that will save you much heartache-if the GF is going to be involved in this TAKE HER TO THE CLASS TOO!!!!!! I didn't take my wife and it has created a little friction in the goals we each have, and the expectations and time scale. Deciding to save money by not taking her will cost you in the long run.

Take the Class, your Q's will be Answered

Like Basil said, it's hard to get a definite answer, just the fact that your planning on attending the course is sound. My wife and I are planning a move shortly, and she doesn't want to live in a trailer before getting into our log home, so I'm planning on buying a home (hopefully with acreage) live in it for a couple of years, then Section off a piece with the home - sell it and then live mortgage free in our log home. Take the g/f to the course, it will help when you go to build (no haven't started yet, but the wife has quite a different view point than mine...) plus, she may have different questions to ask that you would not have thought of...good luck!

Recommended log builders

Could the LHBA recommend a list of (however short) log home builders, in the northern NY (Adirondack mountain region) that build a really good log home? There has to be at least a couple of builders doing it right. Here's my situation. I have a mother with terminal cancer who has to move in with my wife and I, and I do not have the necessary time to fly out to Washington, take the next available class, plan/build my model home, collect tools, locate logs, etc., etc., to actually moving into a log home that I will build with my own two hands. I wish that you guys offered classes on the east coast, and that you weren't so darn popular, but you don't and you are, so scheduling is proving to be a bear. When I'm free, you guys are full up. When you seem to have classes galore, I'm swamped. I'm starting to think that there is some kind of conspiracy going on here :). Anyhow, even a short list would be helpful. I'm trying not to end up having to buy a house that I don't want or need, just to be able to accomodate my family.
    Here's an idea. Put your entire class on a dvd set. Sell it along with the work book at the same price that you now charge. Questions from students could then all be handled on line. LHBA could get this much desired workshop in the hands of millions of new members. Just an idea mind you.

Thanks for your assistance

Not sure how much success you will have...

Quote Originally Posted by doublecheck
    Could the LHBA recommend a list of (however short) log home builders, in the northern NY (Adirondack mountain region) that build a really good log home? There has to be at least a couple of builders doing it right.
    I've seen other folks in the past post here asking to find a builder, and haven't ever seen a response. I'm not saying this to discourage you, and I hope someone can help you. But the problem is that most of the folks here take the course, build their house, and that's it. There are some that do indeed go into business building and selling log homes, and do well. But I don't think many of them are active on the forums.

The other thing to consider is that the folks who DO make this their business charge top dollar for their work. They typically build beautiful log homes on acreage, and then sell them for silly amounts of money to overpaid yuppies. So I don't know how attractive your situation might be to them. (i.e. you seem to want the "cheapness" and simplicity of a DIY butt and pass log home, but are hoping to hire someone else to do it.)

Again, I'm not trying to be a downer. I really DO hope someone responds and takes up your project. But if / when they do, expect to pay as much or more than you would for a stick-built home, because it's the DIY (do-it-yourself) thing that really saves you the money.

About the course materials... I know there are plans to create some more video-type instructional materials for members. But I'm pretty sure the intention of these things will be to enhance the class by giving it to members to take along home after, and wouldn't be a worthy substitute for in-person instruction offered in the course. AND, the instructors (Ellsworth and Steve) have this video project on a LONG list of things they intend to do, but haven't yet found the time to get done.

Log Home Builders

Thanks for the response and observation. Everywhere I have looked, I have been finding exactly what LHBA has specifically warned about in their many articles concerning "log kits" and their builders. We've been inundated with "flat landers" who have moved up here from the inner cities, down state, who start their log home distributorships in the mountains, and they then sell their con job packages to other inner city types who have also been moving up here. Thanks only to the current situation with the economy, has the infestation of flat landers finally slowed to a crawl. We locals do get some entertainment by watching them climb the walls durring the winter months, though.

It would be great if Skip and Ellsworth would train at least one instructor who could work on the east coast. I guess I'll have to try to arrange my schedule to hopefully be able to make at least one of the upcoming classes next year, as they have announced no more classes for this year.

LHBA Member

Thanks for the input from

Thanks for the input from everyone. It's absolutely necessary that we both take the class & we both plan to do so as soon as we save a bit of money. We're both very motivated, excellent savers (lessons from mom and dad) , and we appreciate the simple things in life. Living simply is our goal w/ as little interference from the varying institutions that have control in our everyday lives. I've been on this site every day for over a year & I'm completely hooked on the butt & pass method. Simple, sturdy, and possible to do.