Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote cabin security

Remote cabin security

I was wondering if anyone has come up with any good ideas on security for thier remote cabin's,my place is up in the middle of no where my nearest neighbor is 7 miles away. I have two shipping containers with alot of stuff and I'm getting ready to build so there will be more stuff up there to worry about

theives like me

where are you building? I could use some new tools!

Joking aside, that is a big issue that many people here have to face. Maybe a list is in order. Other members, feel free to add as appropriate.

1) don't tell the locals what you are doing and where you are doing it (until you are confident in them). A newbie in town spouting off about his project in the hardware store is asking that a meth head (buying supplies to brew his own) stop by and help himself.
    2) Lock up your stuff. You'd be surprised the highschool miscreants that can be dissuaded by a masterlock.
    3) make friends with your neighbors. If they live seven miles away down the access road, they may keep their eyes out for strange vehicles heading up your way.
    4) some scary "constitutional keep out signs" like are at skips place are not a bad touch, lets theives know (who are literate) that you are enforcing your right of privacy and protecting you and your family's safety with deadly force if necessary. The threat of death seems to ward off some. (However, never rig up booby traps to catch/harm theives/vandals--you'll be liable for any harm you do them (see katko v. briney, US supreme court case).
    5) video cameras may be workable (And a time lapse vid of your progress would be awesome on you tube!). Just put it in either a very conspicuous place (and) or a very hidden place. This will keep those afraid of cameras off your land, and catch those who aren't as leary.

Any other ideas?

hassel

If it is not to much hassel haul your stuff when you leave. Get a trailer and just take it with you-leaving only necc. items you can not or do not wish to haul out.
    I am wondering if you can't leave a battery operated radio on (letting them think you are in there) and a sign that says beware of owner. Wiith the ecomony down i suspect more thiefs.

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

hassel

As a suppliment to Timber's suggestion, if you cant haul it all out, try to pick a few items of the highest value (and easiest to tote) and take just that stuff with you. Powertools come to mind.

People are a lot more likely to make off with that spiffy chainsaw than an old block and tackle and some log dogs.

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Yuhjn
    As a suppliment to Timber's suggestion, if you cant haul it all out, try to pick a few items of the highest value (and easiest to tote) and take just that stuff with you. Powertools come to mind.

People are a lot more likely to make off with that spiffy chainsaw than an old block and tackle and some log dogs.
    Yep good advice, that's about what we did too.
    Definitely having a good friend neighbor will help just to watch out & give you a heads up if they see anything.

We always took our "Small, expensive" tools like hole hawg, chainsaw etc etc.

Things we leave out there & *knock on wood* haven't been messed with, ladders (locked to a tree), couple folding chairs, old looking temp lighting.

One other idea, rig up a security motion detector & wire a siren onto it, lots of light & noise should scare off anyone during the night & should be fairly cheap.

living in Portland, OR & building in Ashford, WA

security motion detector

I always thought it would be an interesting idea to rig a motion detector to the sound of big, growling snarling dogs (that may or may not be inside guarding your stuff).

2 cents

Laser Shield

If you have power and telephone, you can install a laser shield alarm system. ($200.00) I have one. Severe lightning will set if off, but it is worth the call from the sheriff. Thieves have ripped me off before. Pick up your place before you leave. Do not leave things laying around. Keep things out of sight. Put up stickers and signs from the alarm company. Target practice a lot. The more you look prepared the more thieves will look elsewhere. Don't forget Ellsworth's trespass signs.

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05

We always cashed stuff...

I worked in the national forest in VA alot, and we would have packed alot tools in, and didnt want to pack them out at the end of a long hard day, so we would find downed trees, or holes under rocks, off the beaten path, and would just put stuff were no one would think of looking. it sound like you might have more stuff then you could hide in the woods though, so maybe higher this lady to sit on your front porch.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=--K3X6rptE4&feature=related

cabin security

A couple of things I have-
    Fake security cameras. (Harbor Freight has em). I have two cameras in plain view coming up to my property. They have wires coming out of them going to a box. They are high enough in the tree that they can not be examined easily (I installed it about 10' high and whacked the bottom limbs.)

A hidden real camera. I got a game camera and once I catch the person (most likely the neighbor) messin' the beaver dam, I'll train it on my valueables. I got two media cards and switch them out to check my cameras. (Note Right now it runs off batteries and I am thinking about changing it to solar powered. )

If you have a road going up to your property. A gate, chains and big lock over the gate. I also have no trespassing signs, USMC stickers, NRA stickers, and my MMA Born to fight stickers on my gate. I should put up a beware of dog sign as well.

I also have a mailbox on the property and am considering putting a solar light in. This gives it a look like someone is living there.

If there is ever anyone tresspassing, I greet them with my command voice and usually a shotgun, chainsaw, pick, axe, etc in hand. I get there names and ask for id. Once I've intimitidated them enough, I try and be a little warmer. If I've never had anyone come back.

One last possible option is to let someone live there for free for watching over the property.

vid

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428
    I worked in the national forest in VA alot, and we would have packed alot tools in, and didnt want to pack them out at the end of a long hard day, so we would find downed trees, or holes under rocks, off the beaten path, and would just put stuff were no one would think of looking. it sound like you might have more stuff then you could hide in the woods though, so maybe higher this lady to sit on your front porch.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=--K3X6rptE4&feature=related

LMAO Thats great! Way to go Granny.
    Like others have said. We keep hand tools locked in bucket truck tool box, as well as ladders locked to truck. High doller stuf we haul back and fourth. Watchfull neibor has been very helpful as whell.
    Stu