Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote cabin security

Ragdump I tried having some

Ragdump I tried having some one live there awhile back ,guess who was featured on America's Most Wanted,you got it my care taker,then guess who I got a visit from the Butte County Sheriff and the FBI,he had lived there for over a year and alot of people knew him he even drove a water truck for the local logging company,you wouldn't believe the things that happen in the middle of know where

Security

Put the biggest pair of boots you can find outside your door, then put up a note "Went to get more ammo, be right back" Bubba

Protection from lower lifeforms

I've been thinking of different things about my place, once established, but it still might come in handy in your situation. First, you're off to a good start with the shipping containers. If you are leaving a vehicle or tractor there, park it to block the doors of the containers, in addition to locking them.

One thing I'm worried about, will be my pole mounted solar arrays. I've been planning to put an electric fence around them, using a solar fencer. (or two)

Another plan is to get one (or two) of those solar motion sensor lights, but instead of turning on the light, rig it to activate a barking dog track in the house. (just another project I got to develop)

Then there are some more insidious ideas, but I'll leave that to your imagination. But here's a clue, if a thief gets injured or scared enough, it takes stealing off their minds pretty quick.

~~~~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oops, 2cents beat me to the dog thing.

Maybe some Rattlesnake Signs?

You could put signs up saying there were live rattlesnakes guarding the property...not too many people are going to take a chance like that. Or...you could get a pic of my ex-mother in law and put it on the front door. She coulda scared buzzards off of a meat wagon!

Ellsworth's trespass signs

E, do you have any of those signs for sale. and if so how much are they.

TX's...............................> :-)

New invention

I thought it would be cool to have a motion sensor or laser that ran across the driveway that when tripped would call your cell phone. Place it high enough so that dogs and other small mammals wouldn't trip it but a person or vehicle would. I looked on the internet for such an item but couldn't find anything. If you got a call you could either go directly there, call a neighbor to see if they'll go take a look or call the sherriff. Battery or solar operated would be best and it would have to be able to dial a cell phone so would likely have a modified cell phone built in.

Purchased Land-survey done and draftsman is working on modifications to stock plans.

Make it so it takes a

Make it so it takes a picture or video clip of the vehicle and sends it to you. I've thought of this for some time... I think there are some game cameras or other devices out there that will do it.

Yea, we got cameras at work

Yea, we got cameras at work that are tied into the company's intranet. (which could also be tied to an internet connection instead) The DVR is assigned an IP address, and if I VPN into the network, I can easy access the cameras and recordings. I use it regularly in the winter, to check if I need to head in to plow the lots.

Now, back to btwall's idea. There are wireless photo beam alert systems available, which trigger a warning device in the home. (just Google "driveway alert") It wouldn't take much more effort to tie one into a home alarm system and central monitoring. (or possibly directly to your phone via the dialer)

My plans are for a live

My plans are for a live webcam set up to watch my property..whether I am home or away.
    Program it with notification alarms.
    Get a cellphone with internet access.
    Monitor your land 24/7..either by monitors in your home (or when away) though mobile internet.

There are tons of companies, heres just one:
    http://iwatchlive.com/

Kola

Motion sensor

Quote Originally Posted by btwalls
    I thought it would be cool to have a motion sensor or laser that ran across the driveway that when tripped would call your cell phone. Place it high enough so that dogs and other small mammals wouldn't trip it but a person or vehicle would. I looked on the internet for such an item but couldn't find anything.
    I have a motion sensor inside my house that is programmable for body mass so my four dogs, who range from 50 to 70 pounds, don't set it off. I think it sees heat.