Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remote cabin security

dogs in heat sensor?

Frances, cool..so when your dogs are in heat, the beeper goes off?

...and the boys come-a-runnin'?

heehee,
    Kola

LHBA Member

Orgnized Crime

StressMan79,

I just reread this thread and you mention "methheads" in passing. I see you are from Mukilteo. Out here on the peninsula it is pretty much the one thing that keeps crime escalating in a steady upward curve. Unfortuantely, local law enforcement tends to be in the dark as to who the organized gangs really are---usually they blame it on South of the Border drug lords--but closer to truth it is simply red, white and blue motorcycle gangs (remember the Hells Angels, Gypsy Jokers & etc.?)---they left the big screen and highways of the 1960's and 1970's --relocating to your next door national forest!

Many of us that are planning on living in the remote wilds, should keep a watch out for this type of criminal element. Labs can be set up anywhere and the fact that the profit margin is so high, the criminal element doesn't think a two hour drive on dirt roads is too high a price to pay to keep operations under the radar. They are always armed and dangerous. They also have their flock of users that buy directly from them--usually local youth who commit the majority of burglaries and petty crimes to support their habit.

adubar?

We live down in kitsap county. What stage are you at in the building? If you need help let us know. We would love to pitch in.

Jason

LHBA Member

Kitsap?

Are you looking to build in Kitsap?
    I'll extend the same offer to you. If you build before me, please don't hesitate to give me a hollar.

At present I'm living in an old house in PT. Something I've been fixing up. Don?t' think I'll ever be finished with that, though. I was told by many that old homes always need work, much like old wooden boats. We have our fair share of those here as well.

I've been keeping tabs on some view properties out past Forks to build. I'm hoping the wind and weather out that way will keep the majority of city dwellers out from prospecting for "vacation land"---- keeping the prices in my comfort zone.

I'm in the process of getting a hold of a local horse logger to see if he'd take me on as an apprentice this winter.
    Unfortunately, I got caught up with work last winter and could never get the time away to do it.

-Andrew

Kitsap

We have property in Indianola. Next week we are having a double wide, that we found on craigs list delivered and will be moving in shortly. We had been trying to sell our house in Poulsbo, but could not get a reasonable price. So we found some renters. We did not want another rental, but for now it works better this way. The money we were going to get out of the house was going to construction. So it will be a little while until we start work now. My wife and I are obsesed with getting out of debt and building debt free, so that is what the hold up is. We will let you know when we start.

Sorry for the thread highjack, no PMs yet.

Mason County for Me

Just wanted to chime in on the jacked thread...

I plan to build on Dow Mountain, about 10 minutes outside of Hoodsport, which is somewhere between where you two will be building. I'd love to help out when you guys get started as well. I'm definitely anxious to get stacking, but even once I get property, I"ll need to get my current house fixed up and sold. Maybe by the time I'm ready to sell, the market will be ready to play nice again so I can actually sell my house. Here's hopin'.

I made an offer on a property a couple of weeks ago, but their counter-offer was still quite a bit more than want to pay. I'm just going to be patient for a while. I may go back and offer a bit more later, but I know there are several new properties about to be listed up there in the next week or so.

Louanne

LHBA Member

Speaking of security.

I think the best advice so far has been to befriend your neighbors and watch out for each other.

Something to think about too is the remoteness of where you decide to build.
    How will you deal with medical emergencies let alone unwanted visitors?

-Andrew

LHBA Member

Camera system

My neighbor has a camera system, I think it is made by "Lorex". 4 cameras, each the size of a D cell battery and barely visible, even if you know they are there. He purchased the set up from Costco for about $1K, which isn't cheap. The nice thing about it though is that it "Archives" footage on your PC. I think it holds one week of footage per camera and the clarity is very good. In the last 30 days, he has captured video of a gnarly bicycle wipeout (which is sort of funny) and a car thief. The images/videos can be copied or emailed. We don't recognize the car thief, but maybe the car owner would? I think this could be a great tool to have, as long as they don't steal the PC.

Just my two cents for this "national night out". I agree that your best defense is having good neighbors, but with large acreage you may need some technical help.

Tom

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxURLFn6jU&NR=1

Bark Bark!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kola
    Frances, cool..so when your dogs are in heat, the beeper goes off?

...and the boys come-a-runnin'?

heehee,
    Kola
    Mmmmm, Kola while trying to think of a funny retort to your comment, I starting wondering why I even have a motion sensor when I have a doberman, two pitbulls and a really vocal bearded collie in the house. Anybody who tries to break into my house would have to be retarded!

Frances

You said it!

[/quote]
    Anybody who tries to break into my house would have to be retarded!

Frances [/quote]
    Almost every time you read about a break-in, it is about some dumb _ss. They have to be on the edge of retardation.

I have a neighbor that has over-grazed his property. His cattle patrol my fence line. They look for any entry point. So, as dumb as he is, he cuts the fence for them. I asked him about it. He told me elk do that. Their hooves are real sharp. The camera idea seems real neat. I've invested thousands in keeping _ssholes/cattle fenced out. I keep documenting every event. If I ever take him to court, the evidence is recorded. The pictures would be icing on the cake.

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05