Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to LBHA

New to LBHA

Hello Everyone!

Although I have been accessing this site for several months, I just now signed on! So, Hello!! I thought I had to attend a class before I could join the forums, but I guess not. And I am definitely planning to take a class as soon as I can pay cash for it!

What a joy it is to find this website and so many wonderful people who are sick and tired of being in debt and want only to pay as they go! Sometimes it feels pretty lonely to be thinking in that genre--so you are all a great blessing to me!

I love all the little quips and notes of encouragement everyone offers one another. I'm going to start a notebook with all the info I am gleaning, and type up these encouraging words and paste them on the outside of the notebook!

I was thrilled to find the couple who didn't even know how to frame out a room, yet they were building their own log home!! What encouragement! Sometimes fear can be a HUGE stumbling block for me. Each of you help to dispel that fear and fuel my goals and dreams.

May God bless each of you in your glorious endeavors!

AnneG

Memeber's Perks

Dear Anne,

Great to hear from you. You'll be very happy with the "extras" that comes with being a member. The class price may seem steep, but the community is very active. As a member, you get access to the "member's area" of this forum. You can get very insightful answers to any sort of question--Permits, variations on themes, building Ideas/shortcuts (like using a demo hammer to drive rebar or an air nailer to put in "chinking nails"), price comparisons, and even free help on your project (labor, not just advice) just to name a few. We are quite varied in life experience, age, politics, etc, but we are brough together by our goal of being debt free (we even have different ideas on how to do this--e.g. do you need a "credit score?").

Anyway, we are glad to help any member with advice, and look forward to adding you to our ranks.

P.S. where do you live? It is quite a lot easier to get there if you are in WA already (esp with plane ticket prices like they are now!)

plane ticket prices

I don't know where the person your talking to is from but the class announcements give plenty of time to get a great deal on a flight-I am in CALIF. and paid expedia for non stop to Sea Tac $295.00-roundtrip. Hotel stay was not cheap so perhaps you could cost share with a fellow student? Best western is like 10 minutes from class-be sure you mention LHBA class to get discount on rates. I stayed at BEST WESTERN IN Monroe--xint i must say :-) Book at least 30 days in advance-I waited to approx 27 days before booking and prices were heading North, so get the 30 day or more ahead on your plane tickets-same with your room-it got full-i heard the staff saying it was full. There were several LHBA students there at the B.W. / They serve a good breakfast in the lobby for free!I tried Hertz and even with my AAA discout it was higher than Avis so Avis got my business.

Ron

Fear is bad

Quote Originally Posted by AnneG
    I was thrilled to find the couple who didn't even know how to frame out a room, yet they were building their own log home!! What encouragement! Sometimes fear can be a HUGE stumbling block for me. Each of you help to dispel that fear and fuel my goals and dreams.
    Hello. Fear IS a huge stumbling block. Since I took the class last January, I did something I never thought I would ever be able to do alone. I replaced all the windows on my house. (I'm a single woman) I only had my daughter help me lift the heaviest ones in and out as we fitted them. I bought the windows for cash and saved myself literally thousands of dollars. My windows look fantastic and are more expertly installed than the old windows. Now I'm tackling another big 'scary' project. I spent the last week stripping out an entire bathroom right down to the studs (including the ceiling) and am going to put in new drywall and everything. I couldn't believe some of the stuff I found in the walls and are fixing the poorly done work as I go including, some bad wiring I found in the attic.

Since last January, I stopped thinking about fear. The bathroom seems like a huge job but every step of the way, including the problems, have become my entertainment. I buy whatever tools I need and learn how to use them because when I get up to my own land, I'm gonna build that cabin...and I have no doubt that I can do it. You can do it too.

Central NY?

Where in central NY are Anne? My property is in Oppenheim, NW of Utica. N of Cooperstown.

WOW!!

Spriralsands, you should be so very proud of yourself!! I am proud of you! You go girl! And, you are right--fear is BAD! Well, I shouldn't say totally bad--in the right setting it can be good and wise. But we shouldn't let it run our lives!

I am also a single woman, and quickly becoming an "old" single woman. So to even THINK about getting out of debt, buying land, and building my own log home is not only insane, but it takes a LOT of GUTS! And you aren't just "thinking"--you are doing!

I recently sold my home. It had been built in 1890, and I got for a song--truly. It was a real blessing while raising my children. But it was also 37 miles one way to my job. I lasted for 17 years making that trek every weekday, but once the kids were grown and gone, I just couldn't see the sense in continuing to waste all that time, money, and energy on the road everyday. So I sold the house "as is," and have moved into a 2-room apartment for $250/month! And now I walk to work everyday!

My father used to say that he was living on $10,000 a year and I should be able to do the same! Of course, that was while I still had 2 kids in the house and was driving 74 miles a day back and forth to work. Well, he has since passed away, but I remember those words. And I'm going to heed his advice the very best I can, and pray for his help! If he can do it, then I should be able to as well.

Thanks for your encouragement, Sprialsands! And you keep on fixing and learning and replacing--don't give up!

AnneG

I'm in downtown Syracuse!

Your land looks beautiful, Spiralsands! I can't believe we are so close to one another! Howdy neighbor!

I recently moved to Syracuse from Buffalo. I've always wanted to live in the Adirondacks. But after reading through some of the info here, I know I may have to compromise. Land in the Adirondacks is just so outrageous. I think I should check out the Tug Hill area.

AnneG

I'll check it out.

Hi Timberwolf,

I guess I missed that article on why/why not to take a hands on log building class. I'll have to check through the articles again. I know I printed several things today, but that wasn't one of them. But I shall heed your advice, and see what I see!

And thanks for the welcome!

AnneG

Hi Timber--aka Ron!

Thanks for the prices! However, who knows what things will look like by 2009! Unfortunately, the spring or summer of 2009 will probably be a better time for me. I'm sure I'll really have to hunt for some deals by then! I do know a couple people in the Seattle area that I could probably stay with. How far is the course location from Seattle? I may even be able to borrow one of their cars! So I would need money for the course and my air fare from Syracuse, NY to Seattle, WA!

My daughter and son-in-law live in Portland, OR. I know that I've flown to Portland in the past--roundtrip from Buffalo, NY--for $225 !! But I have a feeling those days are long gone. My daughter is already asking me to come out there for Thanksgiving, but I just don't want to spend the bucks. Of course, I know that if I book now, the price will probably be cheaper. I think they're only going to go up! But I was just there in January for her birthday and then went to Nevada a few weeks ago to visit my brother. And my brother doesn't drive, so besides the cost of the flight I also had to rent a car while there. Time to regroup and stash away that money for my land and log home!

Hey, I just had an idea while typing all this. I'll tell my daughter that I'll be in Seattle next spring or summer for the log course, and then I'll head to Portland from there! That will work! Then I'll only have to fly out west once. Thanks Timber! I have been putting off speaking to her about Thanksgiving, but I think that will work perfectly--assuming there is a course to attend in 2009!

AnneG

AnneG Class

Hey, I just had an idea while typing all this. I'll tell my daughter that I'll be in Seattle next spring or summer for the log course, and then I'll head to Portland from there! That will work! Then I'll only have to fly out west once. Thanks Timber! I have been putting off speaking to her about Thanksgiving, but I think that will work perfectly--assuming there is a course to attend in 2009!
    The class is about 40 miles from Seattle/I am only guessing-from Sea -Tac I think it was around 40 miles. Yes I am sure more classes in 2009-They fill up fast so take it. I am trying ro get ready to build / have the land just not on it yet. This is a great site.

Ron