Thread: Design and Construction Plans...

Design and Construction Plans...

Hi All... I have been wanting a log home for more years than I can remember but now that I am retired, I am relocating to the Ozarks and want to get serious about the design of a traditional 2BR with Loft, 1 Bath Log Home. I have read many books and visited several kit manufacturers but I want to do as much of the building as I can to save money. QUESTION? Where can I find a good source for detail design and construction techiques? There are thousands of photo's out there, etc. but I can find nothing with any meat in it that will aid me in the design process leading to blue prints that can be used for construction. Rafters, windows, sills, doors, sealing, log styles, etc. with good design principles. I would also like to obtain a set of construction blue prints just to review and learn from.
    Thanks for your help in advance... :lol:

Design and Construction Plans...

Welcome to the forum, Joe!

You are asking a pretty big question. If you just want a set of construction blueprints, there are many places on the web to buy "full" sets that show all of the details. You might try a Google search for "log home plans" and poke through the results to see if you can find something you like.

Since you mentioned that you are also looking for "construction techniques" I assume you are really looking for some sort of step-by-step guide, or something like that... As you know, there are many books available on the subject but they may or may not suit your purpose (since you've already read many books, I'm guessing they don't).

If you buy a log home kit (which we don't recommend) I've heard that many of the manufacturers will give (or sell) you a video that shows how to assemble the kit... perhaps that would be closer to what you are looking for?

Most of our members who are building in an area that requires permits/plans hire a draftsman to draw up the plans in compliance with the local building codes. That's a simple, inexpensive way to go if you are already familiar with the construction techniques that you want to use.

If you can be a little more specific about what you are looking for we might be able to make better suggestions. :)

Steve