Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeptics really know how to make a person feel

Regular+ User

Skeptics really know how to make a person feel

So i was talking to my dad about this class and what i want to do.
    His exact words to me were "You're living in a fantasy, time to come back to reality, it will never happen."
    When people tell me stuff like that it makes me really upset, i just told him "We'll see".
    I think my Fiance thinks i'm nuts too, but he don't dare say it to my face.
    The sooner they get another class scheduled and the sooner i can get in it, the better off i will be.
    I know i can do this and if they don't want to believe in me and back me up, they will be the ones sitting in the dark saying "She was right".
    Haha, if my soon to be hubby don't get it together ,he will have to build a mud hut on the property and live in there....lol

LHBA Member

Skeptics

It's not so bad hearing that kind of skepticism from strangers or aquaintances. When it comes from close friends or family it can be pretty discouraging. You seem to be reacting positively though. Just try to remember that, in most cases, our family members react the way they do in an attempt to protect us from what they perceive as a big mistake. Unfortunately, some folks aren't very tactfull sometimes.
    Is your fiance attending the class with you? Every couple who has attended together will tell you that they're glad they did. It's the best way to make sure you're both on the same page and answer any questions/dispell any fears he has about the process. My wife didn't attend with me due to work schedule conflicts but I wish she had. I did take my son though.
    Stay positive and don't be discouraged by those who say "It can't be done".

JD

Regular+ User

Skepticssssss

Quote Originally Posted by JD
    It's not so bad hearing that kind of skepticism from strangers or aquaintances. When it comes from close friends or family it can be pretty discouraging. You seem to be reacting positively though. Just try to remember that, in most cases, our family members react the way they do in an attempt to protect us from what they perceive as a big mistake. Unfortunately, some folks aren't very tactfull sometimes.
    Is your fiance attending the class with you? Every couple who has attended together will tell you that they're glad they did. It's the best way to make sure you're both on the same page and answer any questions/dispell any fears he has about the process. My wife didn't attend with me due to work schedule conflicts but I wish she had. I did take my son though.
    Stay positive and don't be discouraged by those who say "It can't be done".

JD
    I want him to attend with me, but as of right now he's an over the road truck driver, so i'm not sure if his schedule will work or not. I guess when i find out when the next classes are i will see if he can get a few day's off of work to come with me. Would be nice to have him there so we can do it together and help eachother.

LHBA Member

Skeptics

The last time someone told me I couldn't do something was when I was in high school. This family member said that I'd never go to college and even if I did I'd just fail out the first year. Two college degrees and letters from the Dean's List congratulating me on my GPA were the result from that conversation.

I LOVE it when people (family or otherwise) tell me I can't do something. That is the best motivator I've ever encountered.

Suprgrl...

Regular+ User

Cool

That's cool! I am the same way, when they tell me i can't do something, it pushes me even more.

Couples should go together

When I found this site, I was skeptical as well. I emailed my brother-in-law, who has extensive construction experience, and asked his opinion. He said that everything he saw about the construction method is sound. He warned me, however, that if I REALLY planned on doing this myself, that it would be HARD WORK. He is correct, of course. Just because the butt and pass method is "simple" (i.e. you don't have to have tons of experience or skill to do it), it's still a LOT of hard work.

The next question Donna and I had was whether or not WE were up to the task. We decided that it would be worth spending the money to fly out and take the course to answer this question. (Also note that there is a 100%, no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee on the course. If we were not satisfied, we would have wasted a weekend, and airfare, but we could have got our money back for the course.)

We were completely satisfied, and it did indeed answer our question -- can WE do this? Yes, we can. Among the many things they teach in the course are some things that make the process even easier (easier on the back, anyway, hehe.) There are tools and methods that can be used to make it much easier for someone who is not physically strong to get it done. We have members who have built homes, who you would not expect to be able to do it: men age 60+, small women in the 120 lb. range, etc.

Building a log home yourself will take great determination and hard work. Make no mistake about it. But it CAN be done, and can be done for MUCH less than paying someone else to build a conventional home for you (with proper planning, and reasonable expectations of interior luxury, of course). And the home you will have at the end will be vastly superior, both asthetically, and structurally.

But I STRONGLY suggest that both of you take the class. Both partners need to believe in the project. And your family is WAY more important than the home your family lives in. It's not worth having conflict and strife because you don't agree. Just remind him about the money-back guarantee. If he's not satisfied that it was worth the money, you get your money back, plain and simple.

Regular+ User

Thanks A lot

Quote Originally Posted by Klapton
    When I found this site, I was skeptical as well. I emailed my brother-in-law, who has extensive construction experience, and asked his opinion. He said that everything he saw about the construction method is sound. He warned me, however, that if I REALLY planned on doing this myself, that it would be HARD WORK. He is correct, of course. Just because the butt and pass method is "simple" (i.e. you don't have to have tons of experience or skill to do it), it's still a LOT of hard work.

The next question Donna and I had was whether or not WE were up to the task. We decided that it would be worth spending the money to fly out and take the course to answer this question. (Also note that there is a 100%, no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee on the course. If we were not satisfied, we would have wasted a weekend, and airfare, but we could have got our money back for the course.)

We were completely satisfied, and it did indeed answer our question -- can WE do this? Yes, we can. Among the many things they teach in the course are some things that make the process even easier (easier on the back, anyway, hehe.) There are tools and methods that can be used to make it much easier for someone who is not physically strong to get it done. We have members who have built homes, who you would not expect to be able to do it: men age 60+, small women in the 120 lb. range, etc.

Building a log home yourself will take great determination and hard work. Make no mistake about it. But it CAN be done, and can be done for MUCH less than paying someone else to build a conventional home for you (with proper planning, and reasonable expectations of interior luxury, of course). And the home you will have at the end will be vastly superior, both asthetically, and structurally.

But I STRONGLY suggest that both of you take the class. Both partners need to believe in the project. And your family is WAY more important than the home your family lives in. It's not worth having conflict and strife because you don't agree. Just remind him about the money-back guarantee. If he's not satisfied that it was worth the money, you get your money back, plain and simple.
    Thanks, i will have him read some of this when he stops home for a lil bit today before taking off again. I appreciate everyone's help on here!

Shannon, sounds all too

Shannon, sounds all too familiar. You can be sure you're not the first to meet such pessimism only to prove them all wrong. Been a few years, but there was a thread very similar to your own: http://loghomebuilders.org/family-and-friends-resistance-ignorance-about-log-homes Hang on to your beliefs. There's no need to follow the rest of the lemmings over the cliff. ;-)

cost of frame vs log

Quote Originally Posted by Klapton
    I know log would have the asthetics and structual integrity, but how about frame vs log for cost of building either one yourself? With all other factors being equal (plans/plumbing/wiring/flooring/etc) the biggest cost factor, of course, is the logs and how much they might be acquired for. I do believe log can be built for much less than frame, but getting the numbers down on both is going to take some work.

members only link

Hi Rod,

I'm getting an Acess denied error on that link - it must be for members only. :(

~ Linda